Normal Temp Gauge Reading?

kbuhagiar

Hello, All,

I just recently flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat on my 90 SC. Prior to this, my temp gauge would never go any farther up than right below the "n" on "norm" (what I call 'quarter-tank'). Now the gauge sits right smack up-and-down ('half-tank') during normal operating conditions, and goes up to the "m" (almost '3/4 tank') in stop & go traffic. It seems to be running fine, in fact better than ever, the fan seems to be kicking on when it should, and I have no evidence of overheating.
The only possible difference is that I think the heater might be taking a little longer to warm up in the mornings, as if the new thermostat is opening up sooner...plus, rather than the needle 'spiking' during warm up, and then settling down, now it does a g-r-a-d-u-a-l rise to that 'half-tank' position.

Should I be concerned? Where should the needle be sitting for normal operating temperature on the gauge? The car is bone stock.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I wouldn't be to worried. Mine does just like yous. Sits on the N-O and during idle in traffic it goes up to the M or a hair past.

It may be the temp sensor wire....mine will sometimes come lose and Ill have to push it back on tight for it to read right...Ive noticed that with some others on here too.

My '90 SC will sit just slightly over the C, so I installed an Autometer Temp guage with a new sender because I thought it was wrong. I bought the car used and I have 3 reciepts for water pumps, so I was unsure. The guage turns out to be reading right. 125 degrees driving, 150-160 degrees at idle. Never ever going over half way unless the coolent goes low. Also installed a Trans temp, running temp with a B@M cooler isolated which I installed is 115-125 degrees driving, 150 degrees idle.

Not that the gauge being at midway point is any real cause for alarm, but since it was reading lower before doing the flush and t-stat install, I suspect you have an air pocket in the cooling system.

Did you burp it using the bleeded plug near the t-stat ?

David

Back