Figured out oil leak

steveo86

Well, I decided to change my oil last night. I jacked up and supported the car, and was getting my tools for the job. I couldn't find any closed head wrenches, so I decided to use an adjustable one. I go under, and I come to find that I can unscrew the bolt thats in there with my fingers! And all around the bolt is what looks like bubble gum. So I drained the oil and went to take off the oil filter (that thing is rediculous!). Then I put the bolt back in, and I couldnt tighten it all the way down. It just kept on spinning and spinning. So I just thought nothing of it and I filled up the car with 4 qts. I looked underneath at the bolt, and I could see a small drip coming out. Again I thought nothing of it. Well I go to bed, and when I woke up I saw about a 1.5 square foot puddle of oil. And the low oil light was on in the car. So I went to Discount Auto today and I got some JB Weld putty to put on there until June when I will fix it at the next oil change. Should I get another bolt, or is there an O-ring I can get for it or something? Thanks alot!

, David

the drain plug right? sounds lik ethe threads on the oil pan are stripped. not good. youll have to re-tap the threads and get a new bolt, or buy and install a new pan

I think you can buy a over sized drain plug that don't require tapping. I might be wrong I haven't needed one in a long time. I'm not even sure where to start looking for one. Maybe a local parts store.

Whoever put the bubble gum on the plug knew they'd screwed-up the threads. So who changed the oil last ? - if it was a shop, I'd have them fix it asap. I haven't seen a self tapping sump plug for our car (don't recall the thread size), but "Help" or one of those other parts & tools selections probably makes one. You'll have to look around. I last used a couple of those on my trans pan and they work great.
Good Luck.

Check Around your local Auto Parts stores like Napa. You can probably get a thread repair kit (heli-coil) to fix this without having to remove the oil pan. I would not use epoxy or JB weld and put the engine at risk.

Advanced Auto Parts carries them. I got one for mine but have not put it in yet. The threads did not look the greatest the last time I changed oil so I bought one to have on hand for the next change.

just buy a tap and dye set ($6 for a whole set at harbor fright) and do it your self.and for the size of the drain plug go to ACO and the can tell you.

Back