Need a/c advice

93atlsc

I have a 93 sc an my a/c is shot. I need to know if all a/c are the same from 89 to 93. I also need to know if anything else needs replacing when I replace the a/c. Also, does it matter if the used a/c previously contained the old refrigerant.

I doubt that they are all the same unit from 89-93...Gotta figure out what unit you do have and go from there if you want to repair it...If you are going to replace the unit I don't think it matters which one you use...I would see about using the FX15 I think it is...And get your system changed over to the R12, it is not that spendy to do...They just purge your system and change some O-Rings...You can still get the old stuff, but it is much more costly, although some are willing to pay the extra bux cuz the old stuff is actually cooler..

Brad

I think you meant r134a. The old stuff is R-12. For those who don't know, R-12 = freon. There is no industry trade name for r134a.

As far as compressors, the FX15 and FS10 are similar and mostly interchangeable. They were mixed and matched through the years. The first thing that should be done is to determine if the compressor is any good, and have the system leak tested. Depending on the result, the fix could be simple or complex, although its rarely simple. ;)

A/C is not like any other thing on the car. It is both simple and complicated and relatively delicate. Getting it running and kicked out the door is cheap and easy. Fixing it to last isn't and requires finesse and $$. Its sort of a pay-me-now or pay-me-more-later type deal.

Back