temp gauge "acting" strange.......

ddw350

this has been going on,on and off, for like a 6 months.the gauge will lay over on the cool side for like 30 mins or so then suddenly move to the n.then will act normal for awhile,suddenly it will drop quickly.it moves erracticly.but sometimes it works fine??? got plenty of coolant.checked temp around the thermostat with a infrared gauge.thats good also.also burped the system many time thinking it might be a air pocket.[the pressure relief cap really helps with that]

Sounds like the coolant temp sensor/sender needs to be replaced or the wire that connects to the sender is loose. Note: There are two coolant sensors, the one for the EEC is located on a hex stalk to the left of the SC just behind the DIS, but the one for the coolant temp gauge is located next to the thermostat housing.

David

ddw330...Dave is right...also, just before you replace the temp sensor try sanding the pole on the sender and the inside of the connector boot. If that doesnt do it, then replace the sensor.

i'll try scuffing up the sensor prong and up inside the little boot first.if you had to choose,what one do you think is bad?the sensor at the therm housing does have some corrision around the bottom of it[after looking closer],i didnt look at the other one though....thanks...

Mine did the same thing on my 95, and based off of David's same response, I just wiggled the wire on the one next to the thermostat housing and walla! No more erratic temp gauge! It must have been a little loose because I pulled it off and it wasn't corroded.

ddw350, the one that causes the erratic operation of the temp gauge is the one in the thermostat housing.

i,ll tinker with it tomarrow.if i end up needing a sending unit,i'll wait till i put belts on and do belts,coolant change[with a minor flush] sending unit all at once....i,ll keep you posted,thanks for the advice

Back