Custom Exhaust Question

Shifty-G

While my car is in pieces waiting on a new balancer, I've started charting my budget for the rest of the car.

If I go to a custom exhaust shop for true duals (or expanded single), will it be a problem to the car if I eliminate the resonator? Maybe like to just run high flow cat(s) and two mufflers?

Or even a 3 chamber muffler where the resonator is, and one 3" or two 2.5" pipes off of it all the way out the back with no secondary muffler system?

Lots-o-questions-to-come..

Last edited:
your better off running a good flowing resonator(like magnaflow) and eliminate the mufflers
There are very few people that like the ricer on steriods or as a cop told me- an airplane taking off sound-when not using a resonator

it will also be louder without cats -so keep that in mind

also depending on the year of your car- you may want to upgrade to a newer style gas tank--before getting a custom exhaust built

g/l

well, first off, with the stock gas tank you might have a bit of a problem setting up true duals. theres someone around here that's done it so you might want to search and see if you can find him. but there really isnt too much space down there. as far as the resonator, deleting it shouldnt be a problem to your car. the reason its there is to quiet the exhaust tone. and theres no need to replace it with something else. just cats and mufflers should be fine.

Okay, so weld in high flow cats, add a fancy aftermarket resonator, and say one 3" pipe all the way back (No muffler) would be fine? I'm not looking for loud sound, I've got that with my mustang.. This is just to work on the longevity of the of the motor.

Still wondering about putting a 3 chamber Flowmaster or equivalent in the place of the resonator, then pipe all the way back? Would this be louder than a resonator?

i Have experimented with lots of different exhaust set ups on my sc
the set up I have liked the sound and level of most has been with no cats
a magna flow resanator and two flowmaster delta series out back 2:1:2

right now I have 2 highflow cat going to a magnaflow resinator then pipes out the back 2:1:2 --this is slightly louder and throatier than the above

a true resonator is a little different than a muffler and will help control that raspy sound a little better

just my 2cents
g/l

Back