Price Too High??

Mustang54

I guess I may need to gather a few opinions here. I am selling my SC, not because I want to, but because I need to, and have it listed in the Cars For Sale Forum. I posted it late last night and it appears almost 80 fellow SCer's have read the post today, but no one has replied or e-mailed. I didn't expect to sell the car in the first day, but I did expect that someone out of all those people would be interested.

I really need to sell this car and thought the price of $1600.00/obo was fair. The car has 180k and is maintained very well. It runs like the day it was new, and other than needing struts and a paint job is in very good shape.

I am a little confused. I have read dozens of postings for cars with 125k or better drawing $2500 and more. What I really need to know is: Did I price this car too high?

All constructive opinions will be read with great interest. Please throw your two cents in and help me out.

Don't worry, just because a bunch of people viewed your thread doesn't mean they are looking to buy a car. Alot of us "window shop" including me. I just like to look at what's out there. The ones looking might be out of your area also and would rather find one closer to home. There are alot of variables so don't stress out too much. Be patient if you can. ;) As the ol' saying goes, all cars are worth as much as you can get for them!

There is a lot of difference between 125,000 and 180,000 miles. I looked at your car sale post. You have bad paint and a car with 180,000 miles. That's a bad combination. Where does one start with your car? I'm not knocking your car at all it maybe very well maintained. There just are a lot of SCs at that age and with less miles. If they have decent paint that's worth $1000 right there. I personally would take good orignal paint over a repaint anyday.

Hang in there.

The following are just honest critiques of your add. If I had the money, I'd probably be looking into your car right now.

#1 - More pictures. Having to e-mail for pictures is just a pain.

I think the key is for a car that is as worn as you would expect a 93 to be, you give a bit more detail than necessary about the bad things, and don't so much highlight the good things.

I think the key would have been to include pictures of:
#1 - Both Sides
#2 - Front and Back
#3 - Engine compartment
#4 - Interior pictures

Point out only what it needs.. (Carpet Cleaned, Shocks Replaced) and focus on what it has that is in good shape. It might help to focus on that it is a 93 so it has the newer ABS system that has less issues, it has the fuel tank that allows for better exhaust routing. And it's been regularly maintained.

I would expect you could get $1600 if you are patient. If you need the cash now, $1600 may be tough to come by.

Good luck.

I looked at it hoping it might have been forsale by some one in canada because at the price with the way it looks I would have said sold.

From the description you give I would definately say your price is not too high.

You have mentioned all the things which the car will require, and their sum is less than what many of the SCs which are being sold require. I believe this mainly because from your description it has been maintained to the point that the main issues for a used vehicle seem to have been addressed during this ones life. Your mentioning all these items also instills confidence in me that you are being honest.. I'm sure there are others who agree with this.

Next, rather a bit of an extension of the first, the miles on your car appear to be long distance travel. Having now owned or known many vehicles with numerous long distance miles on them, I can definately say a car with 180,000 long distance miles which was maintained can easily beat a car with 50,000 city miles that had a spotty record. I currently own a car with about 180k that fits this description, and owned 1 with 50k that fit the other. I would exploit this. Do anything you can to support the claim maintainance this vehicle has had; like perhaps offering checkup documents from verifiable mechanics or reciepts of maintainance.

Another thing, the year, color, transmission, and other options of your vehicle make it among the highest demanded SCs! There are few with all these things combined, but many who want this. The '93 is the last of the old style with most bugs worked out, you have enough options to make this car at least comfortably equipped (some would call less than what you have loaded), and you have a transmission type that few people dislike.. a manual!

Lastly, one big thing that always makes a large difference is to be able to see the item! You mention having HQ pictures. Even people who might not be looking buy will view your thread, and if they see something remarkable especially for the price they will tell everyone they communicate with about these types of things. This means those pictures will increase the status of your car and increase potential buyers via word of mouth. They also add significantly more meaning to your description.. everyone likes to see pictures especially when buying! Now it could be there are potential obstacles to your posting pictures. These can likely be overcome by helpful forum members. Let us know, so we can do so!

I think your only real obstacle here might be your location. As others have said, I would have certainly gone to see your car were it in my area when I was in the market.. and I bought in a different price bracket. But there are many who will go way out of their area to consider these cars. Your offer to help deliver this vehicle will no doubt make a positive impact.

I think it will sell fairly quick. An SC with options and model year in high demand, good maintainance with at least some of the normal 'SC' issues having been addressed, and what seems like mainly mileage + cosmetic issues offset by a low price. Based on the 100s of SCs I saw for sale when I was in the market, yours is in the top 1/3 of the catagory as it is described/implied.

Thanks for the Help

To all those who took the time to respond to this post - I really appreciate it. Everyone has been honest and constructive, and several of you have made suggestions I will try to implement in editing my listing.

I am not a regular on this site, but have used it in some situations gathering technical info on repairs or getting suggestions for parts or suppliers. In each case someone has come forward to help out. This is a perfect example of why I have used this site. Even though I am selling this car, I still believe the SC is the best ride Ford has offered for luxurious ride and strong performance, and if I am able to get my health issues straightened out, I will be in the market for another of these beauties.

Again, thanks to those who offered advice or even criticism. I will make some edits on my posting in the Cars For Sale Forum and maybe that will help.

Last edited:
Took Your Advice

I took the advice of several who were kind enough to offer it and made some edits on my Cars For Sale listing. I was nto able to add multiple pictures because of the size of my photo files, but I did add a link to a Yahoo Photo Album page so everyone can take a look. I added a little description and took out a little too, and it reads better. Thanks again.

Back