BHJ Installation Tip

Rich Thomson

I just installed my BHJ balancer today and I had to hone it before it would fit over the crank. Nothing new.:) Using an air die grinder and a Porting and polishing kit I was able to easily hone the balancer without sending it to a machine shop. I used the 60 grit sand paper and with a up and down motion was able to hone the ID of the BHJ balancer so it fit on the crank. Below is a picture of the honing process. I hones a few thousands off the ID before it fit.
bhj-hone.JPG

Last edited:
Your timing is perfect. I'm planning on doing mine this weekend. I've check the fit and will have to hone it. I don't have a compressor (anymore) or a honing kit. I need something the will work with my drill. The 3 finger brake hones catch on the keyway. I'm having a hard time finding a ball hone small enough. There must be another way.
I notice your crank sensor ring is a lot different than my '90.

I noticed also. Note also, there is a tooth missing. My guess is the sensor uses that for CID. Nifty, saves on the need for a cam sensor.
As for your honing, you might try a drill and some emery cloth.

minbe said:
Your timing is perfect. I'm planning on doing mine this weekend. I've check the fit and will have to hone it. I don't have a compressor (anymore) or a honing kit. I need something the will work with my drill. The 3 finger brake hones catch on the keyway. I'm having a hard time finding a ball hone small enough. There must be another way.
I notice your crank sensor ring is a lot different than my '90.

The 1994-up cars switched ignition to what is called High Data rate vs. the 89-93 cars which used Low data rate ignitions. The high rate samples the crank position more times per crank revolution.

The paper needs to turn at a high rate to work. A drill would not even come close to the speed needed to hone.

Back