Brake upgrade question

mcate

Has anyone upgraded their front brakes to the 11.57" 1997 T-Bird Sport rotors & calipers? And if so, how much improvement did you notice? I've read this article on MN12.com
(http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/brake_upgrade/brake_upgrade.htm)
but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the trouble, or if the much more expensive 13" Cobra upgrade is the way to go. I've priced everything for the 11.57" swap, & if I go with everything new it's about a $500 swap.
Any experiences here?

TIA,
Mike

Mike, we did the 11.57" upgrade on my car about 4 years ago. I didn't really notice a big difference in stopping power, but the rotor life was better, didn't get the brake pulsation after 10,000 km like I would with the stock size brakes.

I've since upgraded to the Cobra 13" front / 11.65" rear setup, that did give a wonderful increase in braking ability. The downside of course is the higher price, and the need for 17" wheels to clear the big brakes.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I've already got 17" Cobra R's, but in the Bird bolt pattern. At most places I've checked, doing the 13" upgrade is about a $900 deal. I know the 13" Cobra rotors can be redrilled to the 4.25" pattern, so my existing wheels would be ok. Might just have to suck it up eventually!

Thanx Ed.

BTW, love those 2003 SVT rims of yours. I've got a black '95 myself!

Cobra brakes $$

The Cobra upgrade isn't that expensive once you have the 17" wheels. I have a brand new set of Cobra PBR Calipers (with brackets and pads) and 13" Brembo Rotors (they need to be re-drilled).
I paid 350 plus shipping, they are yours for the same. The Calipers are powder coated red with a silver horse on them.
Send me an email bobeikel@yahoo.com if you want pics or more details.

This car begs for better brakes.

Cheers
Bob

Back