Wrong Gates Belt??????

turboken

Hmmmmm, after checking (5X) the part number against what was given to me multiple times, I have a problem. I thought Gates belt K080390 was for the supercharger. No one around here could get a Gates belt, so Autozone crossed it and i got a Goodyear Gatorback. My dad picked it up for me, and It looks to be a regular accesory belt (crank, powersteering, alt, etc.) I just got a 10% pully and thought this was the belt for the smaller pully. Can anyone help me??

Oh, and on an interesting side note, I work at a foundry here in Denison (DenisonIndustrys) making Subaru intake manifolds and one guy told me the other building makes bomb parts (lazer guided bomb cases, nose cones, etc.) and he said blower cases, like the one that goes on the Thunderbird Supercoupe. I laughed and said I have one of those. I wonder if my blower was made here in town..........

Hi, I'm not sure if Goodyear has the shorter belts. I know the stock size is goodyear part number 4080392 8PK0995 for the supercharger. The main S-belt is part number 4080897 8PK2280. Hope this helps!!! Jerome

Yes Goodyear has the shorter belts for our supercharger, I did put them on my two past SC and never bother again. :)

Hey JC95, which belt is the shorter one for the Supercharger? The gates belt crossed to the Goodyear 4080392 8PK0995, which CFThunder says is the stock size? you wouldn't happen to have the smaller belt part #

Hey JC95, which belt is the shorter one for the Supercharger? The gates belt crossed to the Goodyear 4080392 8PK0995, which CFThunder says is the stock size? you wouldn't happen to have the smaller belt part #

Oh, from looking at the back of the 4080392 8PK0995 belt, it is the main belt(alt, ps, crank, A/C).

If there is a shorter belt it would be part number 4080390 you would need??? The belt you have should be fine as I had a 10% and that belt with no slipping. If not use a larger size tensioner pulley.

No, I did get part #4080390 and it is the main serpentine belt (alt, ps, A/C, etc.) not the supercharger belt.

Well, now you got me stumped??? The S-Belt(alt.wp.crank) is part number 4080897 not 4080390. The last numbers tell the length. I'm running 4080897(main S-belt)on my SC at this time. I guess you have the wrong belt all together. Is the numbers your giving straight off the belt or just the box? Did you try to match it up with the other belts? I really don't know... Jerome

I'd get your auto parts store to re-check their cross referencing. The stock SC belt is 8K(8 ribs) & 393(length). So it's 8K393 or 080393 or S80393 depending upon brand. If you have a 5% overdrive pulley you can probably get away with the stock belt. However with a 10% pulley you can either use the larger (Cobra type) tensioner pulleys to take up the slack or buy a 390 length belt aka. 8K390 or 080390. "Dayco", carried by PepBoys makes a nice 'polycog' style belt #S/080390 (listed for a Dodge Ram truck I believe). The advantage of the 'polycog' is that the belt is pre.cut across the width and wraps around the small diameter of the pulley much better than conventional belts - won't crack, lasts longer and doesn't slip.
keep tying,
Jim.

Hy turboken, I kept the three side boxes of the gatorback belts I bought last and here are the # 4080392 / 8pk0995, 4070425 / 7pk1080, 4080897 / 8pk2280 they fit perfectly and no slipppage, no dammage at all for over 100,000 Km, hope this help you, do not know the smallest one, but remember those # are canadian bought, may be different in US

Here's the deal:
The 10% pully is on the blower (MagnumPowers rebuilt it and put the pully on). I work 12 hour shifts (3PM to 3AM) 5 to 6 days a week (SAT is between 9 and 12 hours). I think that should be illegal, but the pay is good (in 3 weeks I made enough to get my Art Carr AOD!!!), tho I don't know how long Ill be working there. One day off is just not enough. I have had the blower for 3 weeks now, and my one day off I just don't want to work on either bird. If I could drive I would tho.... ;-) Search 'Why I cant drive legally'
I have Good Friday off, so Ill try to do it then. Then, I have to have my exhaust done before I can really try the pully out, so until then, it wont have the belt on. I dont want to take any chances with HG's. Ill get it squared away tho, with all the info. Thanks everybody!

TurboKen

Oh yeah, and the belt that I bought, the 'wrong' part # was on the box (along with a diagram of the belt running water pump, alternator, P/S)AND belt.....

Last edited:
Back