Rain+Sunroof+Leather=Angry

93SuperCoupeBoy

Ok...just so I can get an idea of how this is going to go over. What does rain/water do to leather interior? And...how much water does it take to begin to extremely hurt the interior? I've had my sunroof leak on the seats once, and that seemed to stretch the driver seat leather a little. But no deterioration or anything. What is the worse that'll eventually happen from this darn rain?

Thanks,
Nick

You should be fine. Automotive leathers are engineered to be very water -resistant. Most newer automotive leathers have a transparent topcoat of vinyl sprayed on, for durability and protection from sweat and rain etc. The only thing to avoid is leaving the car in the sun when the leather is wet, if you can help it. Better to just wipe it down and let it air dry in a cool spot away from the sun or any heat, otherwise it can stretch it out from the heat/ expansion/contraction.

If you have some individual spotting from rain/water, the old trick is to rub some rolled up bread dough on them, usually works pretty good. You can also check out products like this; http://www.bluemagic.com/autocare.html

Scroll down to the Tectron® Vinyl Guard
16 oz Pump Spray

That might help you in case it happens again.

Outside of the whole car landing in a lake, a good rain soaking or 2 shouldn't reduce the longevity of it from what I know, and i've read enough PDF manuals on it over the years. If you can't fix the roof leak, keeping some clear plastic in the car to put over them for rainstorm emergencies might be in order. Good luck. :)

Go over to the forums @ www.autopia.org and see what they have to say. I have had leather on the seats, doubt it will make any difference.

BTW there is a seal kit you can buy to repair the sunroof; don't think it costs much. You can also use a rubber/vinyl conditioner and protector to make your old ones more pliable.

Naw your leather should be fine... other components is what i would be worried about

We have leather couches in the house... tons of stuff has been spilt on them, they're fine..

Also got leather in my sc... no leaks fortunantly :)

Back