Dim foglights

Digitalchaos

For some reason my foglights are significantly dimmer than they should be. When on, they are only noticeable because they cause the headlights to dim slightly, lol. I have checked the aim, and the model number of the bulbs. The lenses are pitted, but they are constructed of glass so I wouldn't think they could impede this much light under any conditions. The foglights are currently wired in stock configuration.

Any thoughts on this?

Fogs

Don't use them until you rewire with a relay. The other lights dimming when you turn on the fogs is your clue. Its cheaper to install a relay now than to wait for the system to overheat and need to replace MFS, light switch, and maybe some wires as well. Good luck

I simply reroute the power source to the foglight switch from the multifunction unit to the ignition wire or other large source.

However, I still don't understand why they are so dim, as right now all headlight circuits are functioning normally. While over time a problem with heat can occur, there is certainly enough current flow to allow for visible light from the foglamps in a stock configuration..

if you have stock bulbs they're 18 watts i believe. so even rewiring isnt going to make them brighter. just save you're multi-function switch from frying itself. but who makes the brightest bulbs for our fog lamps? i want them to be a bit more functional myself.

I believe the stock driving lamps (aka. fog lamps) use a 27 watt bulb and later models came with 38 watts (#893). However, I'd install the Competition Lighting or one of the other headlamp wiring harnesses, that use relays. As Sooner rather than later your wires and/or either the headlamp or multi-purpose switch will fry - costing a lot more (excluding the heartache) than the $50 harness. Then you can install brighter aftermarket 'fog lamps'. Anyway, I thought the stock lamps had plastic lenses, mine do!. Which also means sooner or later you are going to need some 2000 grit paper, etc to compound all the light lenses clean again.
Jim.

Well mine are definately glass, thats why I don't understand whats making them so dim. They are significantly dimmer than a normal stock SC. I guess I'll replace the lenses with some I saw at Autozone anyway, and recheck the bulbs for their correct application.

Kevin - maybe the reflective surface is coming off the back of the lamp casing. This happened on one of mine on my '93, which is why I know it has a plastic lense. Water got in past the bulb seal and over time the relective surface started peeling. I carefully prised off the lense, fine sanded and sprayed the shell with chrome spray paint - had to do both because the light color was different. Then I super-glued the lenses back on.
So, check yours out for any water infiltration !!!.

Back