Questions about 91 SC auto for sale (pics included)

quick35th

I am thinking about buying a red 91 SC auto (actually I am going to buy it.), and I have a few questions about it since it will be my first automatic SC. Oh, it has 163K, HG have already been replaced, $2,400, very nice.

One, it idles fine when in park, produces good vac., and doesn't shake, but when I put it in drive it drops down to 600 RPM and shakes alittle. Should it idle at about 600 RPM in gear? What could be causing the shake. At idle the motor doesn't move or anything.

Two, the temp rises quickly and stays there. It takes alittle to start to warm up, and when it does it stays around the middle of the gauge and sometimes to the "M." It has the stock T-stat in it. Is the just an automatic tranny thing? My 35th and XR7 dont run as hot as this one does, but maybe that is because they are both 5-speeds.

Last, when it is first started cold it goes up to like 1500 RPM then drops to just below 1000 and then rises back up to about 1200. It has a new crank and DIS sensors. I had a 93 3.8 auto LX before and it never did this. What could be causing this?

Sorry for the long thread but I figured I would ask the questions before I buy it. Here some pics of it too.

Thanks!
Shane

Attachments

• red SC 2.jpg
    red SC 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Red SC 3.jpg
    Red SC 3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 208
Do you know if the rad had ever been replaced? At that mileage and original rad will probably be much less efficient if the coolant wasn't replaced regularly. Not to mention that the fan does not come on until 220 degrees to begin with. The best thing would be to check the rad, flush, add a 180 t-stat, and the cool fan switch mod. Cheap and easy ways to lower those temps.

Since you have good vac., the first places to look for idle problems would be the IAC and tps on the throttle body.

You might want to watch that paint job...It was repainted, if done cheap it could peel, fade, discolor, ect....

joew623 said:
You might want to watch that paint job...It was repainted, if done cheap it could peel, fade, discolor, ect....

Actualy it hasn't been repainted. Just someone before him had the door handles and the side moldings painted red. It doesn't look to good so I am going to replace all that stuff.

Thanks for the help!
Shane

Is that at u store and sell? If it is I go by there every once in a while( my sc is stored there) and haven't seen that there must have not been there for long. That place is pretty cool, good luck on the new sc.

boosc said:
Is that at u store and sell? If it is I go by there every once in a while( my sc is stored there) and haven't seen that there must have not been there for long. That place is pretty cool, good luck on the new sc.

Yeah it was at u store and sell. I was with my mom and one of my friends when I spotted it. We were going to the Bargin Discount looking for some supplies to fix the heater pipes in the house, and stopped by to look at it on the way back. It is really nice but it needs some little things here and there (namely a paint job), but hey the interior is almost perfect!

Shane

Back