392 Gatorback SC Belt loose?

johnny o

Anyone find that their tensioner maxes out with the gatorback 392 belt with a stock pulley and stock tensioner?

johnny o said:
Anyone find that their tensioner maxes out with the gatorback 392 belt with a stock pulley and stock tensioner?

Johnny,

That doesn't sound right at all. A stock belt from Ford is a 401 length, and typically a 390-393 size range is ideal for those running 5-10% overdrive on the blower. If anything, I'm surprised you could fit a 392 with a stock pulley.

Unless when you say "maxes out" you mean you can't get the tensioner to move out enough to even get the belt under it, in which case that is more believable than the tensioner being fully engaged and not being able to pick up the slack, of which there shouldn't be any based on your set-up.

Can you be more specific?

I have no problem getting the belt on, it is loose. The car had a 392 gatorback on it when I got it and I asked my parts guy to get me a gatorback for an 89 SC and that is the belt he gave me. I never told him I had a 392 on it already so I assumed 392 was stock length. I got a new belt cuz the other one was slipping at 3000+ rpm and wasn't looking so great either. The 392 fits on even with a bigger tensioner pulley that I swapped out with the accessory tensioner pulley and it is still maxed out?!?! I don't think the car has a OD pulley on the SC because it looks pretty old and rusted. Any idea what size the stock pulley is so I can measure it? The jackshaft also looks stock.

Back