PDA

View Full Version : crank pulley bolts?

superc0upe
03-28-2004, 09:56 PM
I did some searching in the forums but could not find the answer. I just found out that my crank pulley is shaking very hard. Upon inspection, I found that I am missing 2 of the 4 bolts from the crank pulley. I need to know the exact size of the bolts and what kind to get? (car is at a friend's house right now)
Also since I only have 2 bolts on the crank pulley, should I take them both out and put all 4 bolts back together at the same time using a cross pattern or can I just screw in the 2 bolts?
My car starts with no problem other than a loud sound from the belt, meaning that my balancer should still be ok. Should I go on ahead and replace the main bolt in the middle of the pulley? (I still have my stock one in there)

Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated.

Rich Thomson
03-29-2004, 07:48 AM
8mm 1.25 thread pitch. 30mm long

You cannot buy them from Ford. You will need to find a 10.9 flanged bolt. Check your local hardware store. Also post on the Wanted section that you need a set of crank pulley bolts.

Inspect the crank for damage and locktite the bolts. Retorque all bolts on the balancer and crank.

Joisey Jim
03-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Same thing happened to me recently on my '93 and I'd already replaced the whole balancer unit & center bolt, some years earlier when that main bolt first failed. So this time I just replaced the 2 missing pulley bolts and loctite them in. Check the torque on the others, but I wouldn't replace them, even the big center bolt, unless you can detect signs of fatigue. I have to believe that my replacement unit wasn't balanced right, but it's hard to tell unless you take it off and go to a machine shop. One of my outer pulley bolts was very loose and the other had sheared off. Fortunately there was enough shaft left to be able to withdraw it. I to couldn't find replacement bolts with the shoulder on, like the stock ones & ended up using a washer instead. Been ok since.

superc0upe
03-29-2004, 01:35 PM
right now i am at work, hopefully I can put the bolts back on my crank pulley tomorrow. I actually have the car at a friend's house thinking that it is the harmonic balancer being bad. Hopefully the very loud noise i hear is the crank pulley being loose.

Thanks again for your time guys!