O2 sensor extension for Kooks headers?

lrsudog

I've searched the forums and am still wondering if I should go with new, longer lead O2 sensors or just get extensions for the ones I have. Even though I see that several people are using 16" leads instead of the stock 8", I'm not really sure if the extra 8" is enough.

If the 16" Are long enough, does anyone have a PN for me? I have Three wire O2 sensors, if that makes a difference.

You will need 16" for the drivers side and 13" for the passenger side. Thats what I ended up doing and it worked well.

Mike Tuck
Super XR7

Here are a few Bosch numbers I have seen:
(These are for the early style SC)

O2 Sensor Bosch 13942 8.5" Stock length – 3 wire
O2 Sensor Bosch 13950 13" length – 3 wire
O2 Sensor Bosch 13953 16.5" length – 3 wire

You can just cut the wires and solder in some extensions yourself. It's really not too hard if you can solder properly. Make sure to get good wire, the typical GPT grade junk won't take the heat, try SXL or better. And use some high temp waterproof heat-shrink to cover the joints.

Worst case, if you screw up you were going to buy new ones anyway...

Would a later style SC use a different sensor, or would it be a different length?

gldiii said:
Here are a few Bosch numbers I have seen:
(These are for the early style SC)

O2 Sensor Bosch 13942 8.5" Stock length – 3 wire
O2 Sensor Bosch 13950 13" length – 3 wire
O2 Sensor Bosch 13953 16.5" length – 3 wire

Wayne, I believe the latter models are a four wire unit and do have a different part number.

George, Thanks for the PNs. I'm going to measure this weekend to make sure those lengths will work, just to be sure.

Rob, I had already bought the wire, and solder stuff all the time (Hobby #2 is electric RC planes) but then I saw one of the sensors is already kind of dinged, and I couldn't find any protective heat tubing that looked as good a the factory stuff. I figure $90.00 is cheap insurance.

Plus, I'm a lazy ***.

Turbo351 said:
Does anyone have the PN for the longer 4 wire sensors?

If you are just looking for extensions, I have a link to a company that sells them in a few different lengths. I'll post it when I get home from work.

I think I have the PNs for the 4 wire O2s at home.

The 90 SC I parted out had 3 wire and my 91 has 4 wire, just an FYI.

Super XR7 said:
You will need 16" for the drivers side and 13" for the passenger side. Thats what I ended up doing and it worked well.

Mike Tuck
Super XR7
Hi Mike, are you refering to the long tube headers or the mid length type on the your o2 sensor wire length... idoxlr8too@hotmail.com

Back