air filter in fenderwall

trife86

hey guys right now i have a cone air filter in place of stock air box once car gets hot = air filter get hot = slow car

anyway i want to mount my air filter in the fenderwall and i was wondering the easiest way of doing this. i know PVC would work but im not a fan of using pvc in cars just incase i ever needed to take it apart or anything so any other ways i can do this ?

oh, well in that case you are right. You can try to find one of the MP cold air dividers or make your own. Also, i think on ebay there is a kit that attaches to your stock maf and it has the pipe that allows you to attach the filter inside the fender...but thats like $80 its self. Except for that, i believe your only option (NON-pvc) is to get the MAC or ZR intakes.

you know where i can get my hands on the mac or zr intake? or even this cold air divider

Last edited:
yeah where do you get the MP cold air divider? does it work pretty good?? i dont see it on thier site so???? thanks

well guys, about the cold air divider, the one from MP I think is on hold for production again. Dont know how long it might take, you might want to contact them directly or through supercoupeperformance.com. I know there was a thread a few days ago exactly about these dividers and there were a few pix of the MP one and of some that members have made on their own. Check the tech or non-tech forums...i know its in one of them.
About the ZR and MAC systems, well i know u can get the ZR through blue tongue motorsports, and the MAC directly from teh mac website. Check the links section for their addresses because i dotn remember them out of the top of my head.

Making your own is pretty simple. All you need is some thicker guage sheet metal and some tin snips. You'll save yourself a lot of money. I would definately go that way instead of putting your filter in the fenderwell. Just my 2 cents.
Tad

Hey Tad,
How would you go about fastening the sheet of metal into a tube? I heard of rivetting but im thinking that this would still allow for 'openings' between the rivets. Wouldnt air get sucked in through those also...this would be unmetered air so im guessing it would affect the performance of the engine. The other thign would be welding, but who knows how much it would be to weld it together.

All you really need to do is get rid of your factory air box all together and put a 9" K&N cone filter on the end of your maf. Then the only thing you really need for a cold air divider is a piece between the engine and the air filter just too keep engine heat away from it directly. If you look at some of the members car photos with cone filters you will see what I mean, sorry I dont have a pic. of mine. you can even put heat tape on it if you would want to to further keep heat away.
Tad

I had a similar thing before, i had the focus intake with the filter after the MAF...but no divider. I ended up changing that, i slapped the stock airbox back, attached the cone filter to the silencer adapter and mounted it inside the fenderwell (like the mn12performance intake) and used the aluminum tube from the focus intake. Looks good...at least better than the stock rubber tube...and it flows good also, plus I get the cooler air from the fender.

Back