Throttle Body Cables

Shifty

Trying to remove TB to get to valve covers. I have read a lot of posts on what to remove. I removed the lower cable that goes to the gas pedal with no problem. Just having trouble removing the upper cable on the TB that controls the butterfly. I don't want to snap anything off out of frustration. I removed the little clip that sits in the top of it but that didn't seem to give it much play. Suggestions?

90 SC

From what I recall, the throttle cable has a clip which pops off, the TV cable has a post which snaps into a rubber eyelet. Once the 2 cables are disconnected, then you have to unbolt the whole bracket from the TB. Once thats done, then I think you can get to the retaining bolt and remove the TV cable.

Thanks I will take a look at it now. It seemed like a rubber grommett(sp) that I could simply pry out but didn't want to bust it.

If you have an AOD tranny, then the upper cable that goes into the plastic grommet is your TV cable. You can replace that inferior grommet with a brass grommet and ss clip that you can get from your Ford Dealer. Part # F3SZ-7H303-B. They come in a package of 4 for like $5-6.

It's worth the investment, because if that cable works loose or pops out you can fry your tranny pretty quickly...

Thanks! I of course should have checked my post before going to the dealer this am. They set me up with a solid plactic one that was extremely close to the size of the worn out rubber one. Of course as usual they sold me something that I can't use, dam thing would not pop in there. One additional question, can I use the same brass grommet you recommend on the other end of the cable on the tranny side? I would assume so only because my Napa guy made the same suggestion you did that if the cable pops, then you'll blow the tranny. His comments were if the throttle body end is that bad then you better to the other end of the cable as well. He sent me to the dealer in town as he knew they carried the parts. At least the Napa guy didn't try to sell me something I couldn't use.

Back