Anyone get any of the Art Carr Trannys?

turboken

Has anyone got an Art Carr AOD in their SC? Since I have no OD and sometimes it wont upshift, I am going to buy a new tranny. I would like some input, although I will buy a new one instead of getting mine rebuilt. Anyway, there is a special on right now....buy and Art Carr and get a free torque converter. With my mods (plus my new 10% pully and soon to be fully redone exhaust before the blower belt goes back on), what size stall shoul I get? thanks guys..

Ken

I ordered a Art Carr street/strip and a 9.5" lockup convertor from Bill at Supercoupeperformance on Feb 25th, 2004. I still have not received the tranny. Through e-mail Bill said the tranny was supposed to ship Monday March 29th, 2004. I will let you know when I receive the tranny and the results.

Jerry

I need to replace my trans.If it takes that long to get a Art Carr tranny.
I don't think I will be buying from them.Thats just to long of a wait.
RANDY

Thanks for that info Kurt K.I will not be doing buisness with
either company then.I think the tranny is junk no matter who
rebuilds it.RANDY

There are two companies selling transmissions using the name Art Carr. One is in Caifornia and the other is in Texas. The one in Ca makes a great trans, as does Lentech. The "Art Carr" in Texas is selling junk, passing them off as the real thing.

392Bird said:
There are two companies selling transmissions using the name Art Carr. One is in Caifornia and the other is in Texas. The one in Ca makes a great trans, as does Lentech. The "Art Carr" in Texas is selling junk, passing them off as the real thing.

Would you be as kind as to explain that in further detail?

I only ask because your statement makes absolutely no sense.

According to Art Carr's website, they ARE located in TX:
Art Carr Performance Products
19 Windmill Circle
Abilene, Texas
Order by Phone (888)526-5868
Tech Support (775)325-6282
Fax (775)325-3690

Would you be as kind as to point us to the "REAL" Art Carr company's address?

Just because some Rustang idiot on Corral makes a jackass comment, doesn't mean it's true.

I have an Art Carr transmission (from the "wrong" Art Carr in Texas, bwahahaha!), although I am still getting it all installed - they shipped me the wrong TC at first, so they sent me the right one now and are paying to get it re-installed. An unfortunate shipping error but at least they are taking full responsibity for fixing it.

BTW the main differences between Art Carr and Lentech are: the valve body and the PRICE! Lentech has the modified shift pattern with electronic OD switch, which some people might want. Although for the price difference, you could buy the Art Carr transmission AND the Lentech valve body and still have lots more money left over versus buying a whole Lentech transmission.

I ordered mine a few month back through bill and got a free nonelockup tc. The only problem i had was shippin like you guys mention. It took nearly a month to recieve it. Apparently they take a while to get them out. On top of it the delivery company looked up my address wrong and i had to call 2 days in a row to get them to deliver it to the right place. I guess thats ConWay Freight for you. I got it installed with no real problems and its working great to this day. Feels amazing and was a great improvement off my stock aod tranny. Good luck on gettin your new tranny either way you decide. Zach

It seems to me after reading about this type tranny for over a year.
That it cannot be fixed For my style driving.And I baby my car.
So it looks as if I may need to junk my SC.

Randy

Randy, quit whining and put in another transmission. :D I'm sure with your machining skills you could make whatever adapter plates you'd need for a TH-350, or a 700-R4, or a powerglide, or just swap in a 5-speed. But you know there are lots of 9-second Mustangs with AOD's, so I think it can probably handle whatever the SC can throw at it...

Rob:Thanks for the motivational speech.You have turned my thoughts
around.So I will install a third tranny in 5000 miles.

Just need a couple years to save the money up.

The last one just fell apart inside.It dos not slip or any of the usual's

RANDY

Last edited:
what does the Lentech VB do? And with this non-lockup (whatever that is) TC, will I be able to floor it in OD?

A Lentech VB allows the P-R-N-3-2-1 shifter pattern that Ford should have had and them puts OD on a switch.

A non-lockup convertor lets you take advantage of torque multiplication in 3rd as well as 1st and 2nd (which already have it).

No, you won't be able to floor it in OD with a Lentech VB. The OD band is one of the weakest links in the transmission which is why Lentech doesn't design the VB to allow full-throttle up-shifts into OD.

So your saying we have 3speeds? Im kinda confused if the Lantech VB is P-R-N-3-2-1 then how would you get into 4th. I was under the assumtion that we have 4 speeds. Maybe im mistaken and i bought myself a 4speed which is a good thing ;) I know my none lockup is in 3rd and 4th so??? A little insite might be nice. Just always wondered how that Lantech VB works. Zach
p.s. kurt, ive always loved lookin at your bird and have showed it to many sayin mine will be close, but different. They always want to know where the flags at. Much props to your beautiful bird.

Last edited:
i guess i wasnt thinkin much about it. Forgot to have my caffene today. 3speed in d and 4speed od correct? lol. the Lentech deletes od and leaves it a 3 speed. I imagine thats how it is. Correct me if im wrong. Zach

Nope, the Lentech is P-R-N-3-2-1 and 4th or OD as it's known is on a button that must be installed.

Like Brandon said, OD (or 4th) will be on a switch (usually a rocker or toggle switch).

Thanks for the props on my car. The flag on the building is at a local bar.

Back