Running warm?

b00stedv6biRd

This started like 2 days ago. My car will be doing fine...then all of a sudden it gets hot...like middle of the temp gauge. Sometimes the "Check Gauge" light comes on. Anyone know what could cause this?

Hello. First, it would be helpful to have a full description of the way your engine is running right now, including any other unusual symptoms. Next, what year is your SC? By your avatar, it looks like a '93. The middle of the temp gauge for '93 and under is perfectly normal.. not even close to hot.

I would start by checking the operation of your cooling fan. If its a '93 or under, there is a single fan that has both low and high speed operation. The fan should engauge when you turn the air on, and if you unplug the ECT, the high speed should engauge.

After verifying the proper operation of the cooling fan, I would look for obvious cooling system problems. Leaking radiator cap, leaking radiator, coolant loss, coolant contamination (w/oil), leaking hoses, ect. Then you could go on to check for leaking/bad thermostat, leaking/failing waterpump, bubbles/boiling in coolant resevoir, oil contamination (w/ coolant), ect.

What else can you tell us?

Hope that helps..

Thanks for info. Sorry I wasn't more specific. My SC's a 92. Only has about 63k on it. It's in excellent running condition. Basically this is what happens. I'll drive for awhile, my car will be running a little bit above the C on the gauge. Then it will start warming up really fast, then it hits the middle of that gauge, and it doesn't go any further. When I'm going down the freeway to work it runs cool but around town driving it runs really warm. Even on an overcast 50 degree day it was running warm. Eventhough the gauge says it's running normal, this isn't normal for my car in particular. That why I was wondering. I also have plenty of coolant and my radiator cap seal is in perfect condition.

Thanks for all the info in advance!

-Duane

How long have you owned your SC? Have you driven it recently in cooler temperatures? It is generaly quite normal behavoir for one of these vehicles to heat up to around the middle of the gauge, then activate the cooling fan and go back down, when driving in stop and go traffic around town. On the highway, the radiator and intercooler greatly increase in cooling efficiency due to airflow, hence it runs cooler.

That being said, you noted recieving a warning light. Exactly where is the needle on your gauge in relation to the word NORM? Can you verify the check gauges light was in fact for the temp gauge, and not for something like fuel? It is abnormal if the needle moves past the M and you get a warning.

There are tests which can be performed to help diagnos a leaking headgasket. These include looking at coolant & oil for contamination, coolant/exhaust gas check, cooling system pressure check, and a compression check. The first two can be easily performed, and are acquired at a parts store. In addition, there appears to be work on a kit which will easily chemically analyze the oil for coolant contamination.

yeah i remember when my car blew the HGs and got real hot, the check gauge didnt come on until almost in the red. yeah make sure its not like the gas, and check all of your gauges and your fluid level lights too.

I've gone over all the gauges and the work perfect. I even clocked myself on one of those "this is your speed" things to check the speedo. Everything works fine. I've had my SC for about a year and this is the warmest it has ever gotten. The needle hits about the middle of the O on NORM. I KNOW it's the temp because the light only comes on when the needle gets to that point. The fan does kick on correctly and the temp is lowered very little when it does. I sure hope it's not a head gasket. :(

Howdy again. Wish I could come over but work is taking e out of town again.

Are you sure both speeds of the fan are working?

What thermostat temp are you running?

Ever smell anti-freeze?

Oil look OK?

I'm going to check the fan tomorrow. Never have had a coolant smell. I have no idea what temp I'm running on the thermostat, nor do I even know how to check that. :eek:

I wish you could come next week but it's opening weekend for the Ranger's so I'm going to be jam packed at work. Maybe the weekend after...I'll have to check the schedule. I most likely will goto your place since you are going to be helping me figure this problem out. I'll keep you posted so we can make plans. Once again...I hope it's not a head gasket :(

Thanks for all the info guys...hopefully you guys can help me get to the bottom of this..

If it is overheating when the temp guage is at the O, your gauge is unusually inaccurate. See if you can borrow one of those remote temperature sensors from a parts store like Autozone and check the temp around your thermostat when the fan activates. Also, look for signs of air in the system, such as bubbles in the overflow or no change in level in the tank from warm to cold.

Digitalchaos said:
If it is overheating when the temp guage is at the O, your gauge is unusually inaccurate. See if you can borrow one of those remote temperature sensors from a parts store like Autozone and check the temp around your thermostat when the fan activates. Also, look for signs of air in the system, such as bubbles in the overflow or no change in level in the tank from warm to cold.

Oh yeah! I didn't think of checking for air or bubbles! I'll do that today. Man you guys are a huge help!

Maybe I missed it but are you loosing water? Have to refill, how often and how much? Sure air bubbles. I had oil floating in the water one time, rare.

Maybe it needss new thermostat and if so I run the 180 rather than 195 in this Texas heat. My bad luck has always centered on the fan motor or bearings. AZ sells and stocks the motors at 24hr stores if that is what it is. One car blew head gasket but water went in oil and driped outside on floor. Very obvious for me.

Granddaughter has week off till 12th. So we are going out of town, maybe today, on a work trip for me but vacation for wife and grandaughter. So I will for sure be back on 13th.

PS: Sometimes the radiator just gets old and stoped up. New one can do wonders. But I would check any head gasket issues etc first. Then fan. Thermo is fairly easy and inexpensive, but I would put a new on in a pan of water and heat on stove to make sure it opens all the way. Do the same to old one. It may be fine but new is usually better. What ever this is it will probably only get worse and you could hurt the engine pretty bad if not taken care of. 100+ is coming.

Last edited:
Doug Franklin said:
Maybe I missed it but are you loosing water? Have to refill, how often and how much? Sure air bubbles. I had oil floating in the water one time, rare.

Maybe it needss new thermostat and if so I run the 180 rather than 195 in this Texas heat. My bad luck has always centered on the fan motor or bearings. AZ sells and stocks the motors at 24hr stores if that is what it is. One car blew head gasket but water went in oil and driped outside on floor. Very obvious for me.

Granddaughter has week off till 12th. So we are going out of town, maybe today, on a work trip for me but vacation for wife and grandaughter. So I will for sure be back on 13th.

PS: Sometimes the radiator just gets old and stoped up. New one can do wonders. But I would check any head gasket issues etc first. Then fan. Thermo is fairly easy and inexpensive, but I would put a new on in a pan of water and heat on stove to make sure it opens all the way. Do the same to old one. It may be fine but new is usually better. What ever this is it will probably only get worse and you could hurt the engine pretty bad if not taken care of. 100+ is coming.

Yup the heat is coming...that's why I need to find out what is going on now. I have no water leaks. The radiator is maybe a year old because my stock one was crimped at the top wrong...so I replaced it. I was thinking about the thermostat..that was going to be my next question actually. I'll check the fan and the thermo right after I post this. I'll keep you posted.

Well I figured it out...after looking at everything to do with my cooling system...

Turns out it was my belt slipping which resulted in my water pump not working efficiently!

Thanks for all the help guys!

-Duane

b00stedv6biRd said:
Well I figured it out...after looking at everything to do with my cooling system...

Turns out it was my belt slipping which resulted in my water pump not working efficiently!

Thanks for all the help guys!

-Duane

Whooooo, give us details. No squeel? What was your fix? Slipping all time? Interesting.

Doug Franklin said:
Whooooo, give us details. No squeel? What was your fix? Slipping all time? Interesting.

Nope the belt didn't squeel. My brother is a Mazda Master Tech and came up with the idea that it might be slipping..since it was only 20 bucks for a new belt I said what the hay? I didn't know you had to remove the lower radiator hose to install a new belt...not one of Ford's brighter idea's. I noticed it running better as soon as I test drove it. I was able to take off from a light full throttle and it didn't automatically get really hot. I decided I'm still going to get a 180 degree thermo and an intercooler fan to get ready for summer.

-Duane

Well mine have to do with 30minutes at a time on a track. Lot of WOT. SC will heat up and make terrible noises. Temp gauge goes up which I bought Mike38SC radiator for that. I have a WP bypass plate from Randy Baker that I will use for an electric pump to get more water flow on one of the cars. Got a fan for the IC but I need a bigger IC for sure. I don't know what I will do on the IC yet but hope to put a radiator and a larger surface area IC side by side. In mean time I will pick up a double one from someone and use with fan.

As far as the street goes my 95 can heat up on 100+ days.

Doug have you actualy installed the radiator yet? I had a fella come over last weekend with his SC that he had installed a 180 deg thermostat in previously before the new rad. We could'nt make his engine get over 170 deg. He'll be installing a hotter thermostat this weekend.
Maybe you have some other issues causing your high temp.

Mike with 7 birds in the yard I guess I need to name or number them to refer to which car does what. All SCs that run get too hot down here except one 90 model for some dumb reason, maybe because it had a new rad put in it before I bought. Looks stock type. But if I do 4 sessions at track I cook the SC and water temp goes up after this heat soak but it takes some running.

Now the 95 always runs hot and even though your rad is for the track car not yet running I may get a wild hair and stick it in the 95 for testing like I promissed you. But it sounds like plenty have had the success you figured.

My job has been stagnant for years until this F-35 at Lockheed got serious about designing. I am swamped with this and the new reporting system we are transitioning to at my job. At least I am healthy now. So I am trying to do car work that will get me where I want to be with my limited time. I hope to have your rad on the track by June.

Back