Lincoln Mark VIII brakes or mustang PBR calipers???

sizemoremk

Hey guys!

I've read about both, but haven't seen too many that can say if they thoguht it was worth it to do either of these brake mods.

I have a 1990 SC, so I would have to replace spindles either way...

What do you recommend?

I've done both. The Mark 8 (see my old article on this site) on my '93 and the PBR on my '94. I'd say maginally the PBR's are better, in as much as the rotors seem to last a bit longer before warping. Both upgrades require the '93 + spindles; but of course I didn't have to do that on either of mine. If you are on a tight budget and don't have aftermarket (see thru) wheels to worry about appearance I'd just go to Advanced Auto and buy their $20 rotors. Even the KVR cadmium plated & crossed drilled rotors at $100 ea. don't seem to last much longer before warping. On the other hand if your calipers are bad and you need a brake overhaul, then I'd probably recommend the PBR's. I got mine used from "mustangparts.com" - they are actually salvaged from crashed 2000+ Mustang GT's. Mine came with the calipers, frames, pads, hardware and hoses for $99 a pair; but I don't know what's available currently. If you go that route then look at the article on TCCOA, because you'll need to either grind down the side of the passenger banjo fitting or (as I did) grind a little off the caliper housing to accomodate the stock brake hose.

I have the 13" cobra brake kit and love them, waaaaay better then stock! I think it depends on what you plan to do with the car that should help you make your decision, that and funds. The 13" cobra kit cost me $549 for the complete kit and nickel plating. So far no complaints and it stops on a dime now. Not sure on how much the Mark VIII swap would cost, but I would imagine it to be about $300-$350 without looking any prices up. Either way you have to have the 93+ spindles, so that another $100 or so depending where you get them. Also remeber that the 13" Cobra kit requires at least 17" rims to clear the rotors. Hope that helps

with the pbr do i need 17" wheels? could someone list the parts and anything that is needed?

thanks in advance.

You can use stock size rotors with the late model stang dual piston calipers..Thast what id do if it was that or Lincoln brakes

However I went with the 13 inch rotors maselfwith cobra calipers..Yahh baby

I'm getting ready to do my spindles and brakes in the very near future. Right now, I'm getting the spindles, calipers, caliper brackets, and rotors from a Mark VIII. I was able to negotiate a price of $250 for all that. I've seen it around a scrap yards in the range of $300 or so. I'm going with this upgrade right now as to improve the brakes over stock, but retain the stock wheels at this point. I don't have the $$ to dish out all at once. The Mark VIII brakes are an improvement over stock and they allow me to do all my brake and wheel mods in steps. Personally, that's the way I'm going for now. Just an option you can consider.

I'd be weiry of used calipers (although I did install the PBR's off a salvaged Mustang on my '94 - but they were like brand new). You can get reman. Mark 8/T-Bird Sport calipers for the bigger 11.57" rotors - that's what I did on my '93 & I got them from PepBoys. The nice thing about either of those 2 upgrades is that you can stay with stock wheels and still use the donut spare if you get a flat. You can't do that once you go to 13" rotors.
Jim.

another supplier

Here's a Canadian Manufactured Rotor supplier for these vehicles
Front Rotors (Crossdrilled & Vented) sell for $140.00/pr (CDN) or $108/pr. US.

Rear Rotors are also available.
MUGGZI Performance
www.muggziperformance.com

Back