Blown head gasket-HELP please

Burbank95sc

I just blew the head gasket on my 95sc an hour ago

who sales the best head gaskets for sc
do I have to get a new head bolts too

Do a search for the 4.2L Mls gasket part numbers on here. They are the best/strongest. And yes you need new bolts being they are torque to yield. I would reccomend getting the heads surfaced and a set of arp studs.

Search on head gasket and see what you find. Make sure pay attention to comments regarding the need to surface the mating surfaces for the head depending on what gasket you might choose.

The newer gaskets require a better than factory surface to seal properly.

Should he drain the oil right away to get any coolant away from the rod/main bearings? Not sure, but thought I'd ask...

BobGPz said:
Should he drain the oil right away to get any coolant away from the rod/main bearings? Not sure, but thought I'd ask...

If it mixed coolant in the oil, YES!!! Get the antifreeze out of there ASAP!!! Drain the old oil, refill it with fresh oil and run it for about 30 seconds. If you just drain the oil, the oil still on the bearings will be antifreeze tainted. If you refill with fresh oil and only run it for 30 seconds it will flush the bad oil out and not run long enough to mix enough antifreeze in to matter.

For added insurance, you could drain the colling system (remove the block plugs too) before refiring with fresh oil. The motor can run for 30 seconds - 1 minute without coolant with no problem.

And for a typical head swap (not pulling the block out/apart) the replacement Felpro gaskets that come in the headset and ARP studs are you're best bet. If you don't mill the block surface as well the 4.2 MLS gaskets will leak for sure. There's quite a few high HP SC's running with that combo (the standard gasket/ARP combo). Most of the 4.2 MLS guys have done it twice because of said surface finish issue.

Thanks all of you guys for help

I checked the engine oil few times and there is no antifreeze.I started it up couple times after hg.blown big white smoke came out of the axh..

should I still drain the oil and antifreeze

I'm goona get FEL-PRO from sc.performance today

another thing to lern.........

Burbank95sc; give us the details of your gasket adventures. What exactly happened which indicated to you the problem? What were you doing when it occured, and what are your cars details?

Thanks!

Digitalchaos said:
Burbank95sc; give us the details of your gasket adventures. What exactly happened which indicated to you the problem? What were you doing when it occured, and what are your cars details?

Thanks!
The car is 95sc 5-speed with 60K miles on it

Modif: underdrive pull.,5% sc pull, 76 maf , 70 tb,Mac cold a.i., MP top,SPEC st.2 clutch and alum. flywh., inter. fan,Autommeter boost g, custom exh with Dynomax muf. ,no catal. conv. stock exh. manifolds.3:55 gears

What was I doing---------testing my new BFG drag radials

I was just running catback exh. and cai last year and hit 14.4 et , rest of the parts I put over the winter time and changed synchro blockers and synchro spring which broke and of the last year .I didn't drive it whole winter time than I pulled it out of the garage a week ago. I could feel the big diffrence in perfor. of car after all those parts. I couldn't drive on stock tires, it was spinning like creazy. boost gauge was shown from 18 to19 psi of b. One time I took off the air filter and right fog light[temp.was about 40F] it was blowing almost 20psi .

It didn't loose much power after blown hg.I drove it back home- lucky few blocks from my house
nice white smoke- first I thought it's coming from tires, I was mistaking

another thing to do over weekand

Burbank95sc said:
boost gauge was shown from 18 to19 psi of b. One time I took off the air filter and right fog light[temp.was about 40F] it was blowing almost 20psi .

I am not extremely familiar with the usual numbers from an m90 with 5%, MP top, and mods like yours, but that seems like an incredible amount of boost, especially considering you were using a measuring device more accurate than the stock gauge.

You said your exhaust was stock manifolds, del cats, and custom tubing to (2?) dynomax muffler(s)? What size is the tubing?

I could be wrong, anyone care to comment on this?

Your car has pretty low mileage. In any case, I hope all goes well with the hg job! Have you access to all the other info you need, like torque specs?

I found the arp part #`s for you. This is the Chevy bolts but fits are cars and a lot cheaper too. 75 bux from Summit. #233-4303 good luck.

Burbank95sc, Let me know if you need a hand changing them gaskets. It's not as hard as it looks. Sorry to hear about those gaskets. It seems to be a problem for everyone.

Digital Chaos, I'm getttin around 17-18psi on my aftermarket boost gauge. I got a pearl 95 5spd as well. Kinda strange now that I think of it. Gotta remember that the 94-95 models came with a more mod effecient fuel system and blower.

I've allready ordered everything from scperformance
I've had cats del. 2days before the hg blown -I think it was too late
the exh. piping is 2.5'' to3" with only 1 3" muff. in place of res.

thanks again for help

pearl95sc said:
Burbank95sc, Let me know if you need a hand changing them gaskets. It's not as hard as it looks. Sorry to hear about those gaskets. It seems to be a problem for everyone.

Pearl95sc- IF you have some free time next week to come over you are very welcome. I'm waiting for parts to arrived, they should be here on monday or tue.

Burbank95sc said:
I've allready ordered everything from scperformance
I've had cats del. 2days before the hg blown -I think it was too late
the exh. piping is 2.5'' to3" with only 1 3" muff. in place of res.

thanks again for help

Were the cats you deleted stock? How long did you run b4 deleting them? I think its likely this was your problem, especially if they were stock. The 90* bend in the stock cat necks is a significant reduction to flow.

At least now you won't be worrying about them in the future.. I wonder if this job is even as hard as motor mounts :D

Back