egr

darin

was wondering what would happen if i blocked off my egr. would it be a good or bad thing for performance, and everyday driving?? i want to get some ported manifolds but all of them that i find dont have egr??

On a supercoupe the EGR connects to the inlet tube behind the throttle body...

It won't make much difference on a Super Coupe because they get plenty of gas and run rich ... SCs use 30 and 36 # injectors... Where as regular cars with the EGR at the lower intake manifold use only 19 # injectors... On carborated cars the EGR is right under the carb... only 89-90 and 94-95 came stock with EGRs where as 91 92 and 93 did not... Some say blocking off the EGR will throw a code. I have not found that to be the case as long as the PFE sensor is hooked up... The purpose of a EGR on a super coupe is to cool the charge and reduce combustion chamber temps... If I were to run in cold air all the time like 50 degrees or below then I wouldn't even worry about having an EGR.. I have mine blocked and have noticed no changes in performance but it is real cold outside and supercoupes run better in the cool air .. Super chargers create alot of heat the cooler the operating temp the better after it is brought up to where it needs to be... COOLER HEADS PREVAIL...

on my 90 sc auto i have a block of plate
it has ford stamped on it so it must be factory
on mine

schaef

Yeah schaef

Very possible... I have chatted with quite a few members from Canada.. They tell me the same thing ... Much cooler outside temps I guess...

My question is how does putting hot exhaust gases into the air charge make it cooler? I thought it was there soley for emissions purposes to reburn some of the gases not burnt in the ignition process.

It is not intended to lower the intake air temps, it is intended to lower the combustion chamber temps by dilluting the intake charge. It does this by displacing oxygen so there is a cooler burn. At reduced combustion chamber temps, NOx is less likely to form. NOx is one of the component of smog.

Back