removing harmonic balancer with broken crank pulley bolts

superc0upe

I thought that my shaking crank pulley was just as simple as removing and replacing the 4 bolts, but it is not. As it turned out, 2 of the 4 crank bolts are completely broke. I am just glad to see that the main bolt is still there.
I just needed to know if I need to remove the 2 remaining broken crank bolts to remove the harmonic balancer.
If I do not have to remove the broken bolts, is it as simple as removing the main center bolt and using a puller to remove the balancer?
Also, what type or size breaker bar should I use to remove the center bolt?

Thanks in advance for your time guys and hopefully I can get the car back on the road soon.

If I recall, going from memory, you are correct. You can just remove the big center bolt and then remove the balancer with a removal tool. I'm pretty sure the 4 smaller bolts do not do anything with regards to holding the HB in. Just the pulley to the HB.

If nobody responds before 6, I'll check when I get home. Not sure on the breaker bar. Air tools help. :)

Dale

Yes it is that simple ...

Just remove the bolt and use the puller.. In my case the puller I was using did not go into the bolt far enough so I stuck a bolt with a smaller head in there then put the shaft of the puller on and it came right off... No need to remove the broken bolts... What I do when turning the crank bolt off on a AOD is put deep well socket on one of the flywheel to tork converter bolts this will jam it aginst the bell housing and stop the crank from turning .. Then the crank bolt should turn with ease.. For a 5-speed I think you can put it in gear and twist it off. You shouldn't need a breaker bar... Just a big ratchit and socket..

Thanks for the quick replies guys, greatly appreciated :)

stocker 89 said:
What I do when turning the crank bolt off on a AOD is put deep well socket on one of the flywheel to tork converter bolts this will jam it aginst the bell housing and stop the crank from turning .. Then the crank bolt should turn with ease..

Stocker 89, can you expain this a little more further, where is the flywheel? I have removed the radiator and fan already. Do I need to remove more stuff to put a socket onto the flywheel?
Is it possible to try to remove the bolt without the crank turning?
Sorry for simple questions, but this is the first time I actually did something like this on any car.

I take it you have a AOD ?

The job would be eaiser if the car was on jackstands.... just my opinion... You could also put the crank pulley back on and try using a strap wrench wrapped around the pully to keep the crank from turning why you take the crank bolt out ... I have used a strap wrench on the jackshaft pulley before and it worked real good..

You can access the flywheel(this is what the starter engages to start the car)/tork converter nuts by taking off the rubber cover on the bottom front of the transmission right under the back of the motor.. It is easy to see once you get under there.... I have never been able to take the crank bolt out with the crank turning.. Simple questions are what the SCCOA is here for so do ask...

Thank You!

Thank you so much guys!
I will try to do the job this weekend. Since I already took the radiator and fan out, hopefully it will go smooth. I yet have to order a replacement for the harmonic balancer. I have found good prices from the people here for a replacement. But for now, I will attempt to take out the HB.
All I know is that if I run into more questions, I know where to go.

Thanks again, you guys are great!!!:)

Back