Amp wiring

steveo86

Hey guys with subs,

I JUST got my amp and 2 12's in the mail today. I feel like a little kid at christmas!!!!!!! Anyways, I wanted to know how some of you guys wired your amp from the battery, and running the speaker wires from the head unit. Pics would be great if possible. Also, if anyone is interested I might sell one of my 12's, they are the Sony P5's. Brand new, never been used, and I want to see if anyone here would like to make a deal. But more importantly, how do you guys wire these kits?

, David L.

My wires come through a tiny hole on the side of the seats, then down along the length of the car under the carpet and held down by my rocker panels on the side of the drivers seat then through the rubber piece the steeringshaft goes through i just cut a TINY hole, thats as far as the battery goes then i didnt the same thing on the opposite side for the speakers, but i brought it up through the glovebox and hid all the wiring under the carpet again. Its simple to do

Jay

I hope you are talking about running the speaker wires from the head unit for some front/rear speakers, right? If I were to do it and your amp can handle it, I would sell one of the subs and have the amp power all the speakers in your car including the sub. I think it's the best bang for the buck. Some passive crossovers will handle the frequencies slopes and they are dirt cheap when comparing seperate amps with electronic crossovers and all that jazz. I did a comparison with two configurations: 1. Head unit powering all front/rear speakers and then the amp powering the sub. Then, 2. Amplifier powering all the speakers including the sub.

Well, 2. sounded SO MUCH BETTER! But, it was a Rockford Fosgate amp, so it could handle it. I lost the fading capability, but it was worth it! And as far as your power wire, go with at least the size the amplifier manufacturer recommends or bigger. I have a 4 guage wire running from the battery all the way to right behind the fold down rear seats. Just my .02.

Well, there are two problems with that. One, its a monochannel amp, and I don't want to a)blow my amp b)blow my head unit or c)burn the car down. Also, I have a Panasonic head unit that has a 60Wx4 MOSFET amp inside of it, so it has PLENTY of juice. Once I mess with the frequencys to take most of the bass out of the 5x7's, I can realy turn it up!!!!! But yeah, I was thinking of running the power wire under the plastic piece that attaches to the lap belt reel, and running the RCA cables by the center console so I dont get engine noise. Oh, well, I just wanted to see what my options are. Thanks anyways!!!

, David L.

Back