Hey guy's have a few ? 's about my Eaton m90 new member

wolf rocco

Hey guy's the names Andre
im a VW person i drive a 1984.5 VW scirocco great car

i dropped a super charged motor in it froma Corrado but the charger was screwed up doing 5 psi.

so i bought a Eaton m90 and modded that to fit my 4cyl 1.8L and i have a few questions.

1 What RPMS does your car idle at and also what is charger Rpms at idle

2 im leaking a bit of oil out my nose section when i tip it up are these chargers easy to change bearings and seals in ?

3 can i get these replacement parts at ford for a good price or is it best to see a bearing place

4 also what kind of charger temps are you guys getting and has anyone checked leaving temp of the charger before the IC

5 good looking site well spend alot of time here chatting with you guy's

Thanks for the help

Hello wolf rocco;

I can answer a few of your questions, others can answer more.

1. I believe the automatics idle around 700 rpm, the 5 speeds are slightly lower at about 600. I do not know blower speed at this range.

2. There are rebuild kits readily available for this problem. Most members do not find any great difficulty in rebuilding themselves.

3. There are kits available, such as this one. I believe there are others also.

4. The outlet air temperature can reach as high as 400 degrees :eek: at full output. There are upgrades which have been made available in the aftermarket community for this car to alleviate this problem, such as the magnum powers raised top.

Hope that gets you started!

Last edited:
thanks for the help wow 400 i better make sure all my piping is metal not plastic

that is a very good price for a rebuild kit

so that after market item you where talking about how does it reduce heat ?

Hello again. The aftermarket raised top reduces heat output from the supercharger outlet by providing a larger volume for the air to move through. This slows the air down and reduces frictional heat buildup that the stock SC top causes. There are also currently experiments by some of our members with repositioning air to water intercoolers directly in the path of output to eliminate the normal intercooler tubing. I believe this kit is being considered as a possibility for sale, but am not certain.

The stock boost normally associated with our m90 superchargered supercoupes is about 12 lbs.. give or take a few. I have had cars that made 8, and 15. I believe the maximum practically obtainable boost from these units is about 20 psi, this is with many modifications to the supercharger. Inefficiency of the roots type blower has limited our maximum output level. Some of the upgrades to the supercharger include spinning at higher rpms, porting and raising the top, modifying the intake plenum, modifying the outlet, and more. Definately this supercharger requires the use of metallic plumbing, our cars use aluminum.

Hope that helps!

yea it helps forsure man thanks

i wish i could post pics of my setup mbut my pic hosting place is not letting me link anymore

is there any pics of the sandwich plate adapters for air to water IC a friend has a eaton on his BMW and he does not run a IC since room is not a option in his case

I believe the GTPs also use the m90 supercharger. If you want to search for more info or ideas, check out www.clubgp.com. There is a lot of knowledge there, and perhaps some different ideas, since those cars are FWD.

Theres also some places to get parts for the FWD supercharged GM cars, i can only remember one right now off the top of my head, i think its
www.zzperformance.com

Hope this helps. If you get a chace, post some pics of your VW project, i think itd be interesting to see, and i always enjoy looking at people's creativity and skill.

-Nick
(former GP owner)

Supercharger speeds

wolf rocco said:
1 what is charger Rpms at idle
The supercharger on our cars is overdriven 250% from the factory. So multiply our crank speed by 2.5. With +10% pulley multiply by 2.75. With +10% pulley & +10% jackshaft pulley, multiply by 3.

Now the M90 supercharger speeds on YOUR car will depend on the pulley sizes on YOUR car.

68COUGAR

pulleys do infact control the blowers speed. The m90 displaces 90 cubic inches per rotation, your motor must be around 100 cubic inches, so I would spin it very close to your crank speed. Your final boost and type of rotors will determine whether an intercooler is necessary. Hope this helps.

Back