New Motor..new Problems

RVA75

I am just finishing up putting a new motor in my 90 5spd SC. Some probelms I am having so far:

1) No spark, has fuel and turns over fine

2) All interior lights remain on and door chimes even when doors are shut and the headlight light switch is off (key is not present in the ignition), have to disconnect battery after attempting to fire her up

I have more things to ask of the experts, but as of now these are the major ones. The car has 235,000 miles so there are a lot of things that need to be fixed. This has been a 3 year project. I'm anxious to get the car on the road again. Thanks.

Randy RVA75@yahoo.com

1. Check all your grounds.
2. Check all harness connections.
3. Check battery terminal posts and positive and negative wires off battery for internal corrosion.
For starters

The battery and cables are new, I'm almost positive that the harnesses are all attached. The main ground off the battery goes to my driverside enginemount and is secure. Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

-Randy RVA75@yahoo.com

You have a ground on the passenger side engine mount and a ground behind the drivers side head, against the fire wall. Sounds like you have a short to power and those things that stay on are getting power when they are not supposed to. Look for any melted or chaffed wires at or below the engine compartment fuse box. There is also a fusable link under the fuse box somewhere that is common to melt. Look at all your fuses under the drivers dash and see if any are loose or if any wires appear chaffed. If you didn't have this problem before the engine swap then it must be something that happened during all the work. So I would focus most of my attention to the engine area. No spark could be something in the power supply to the coil in that harness which connects to the DIS, cam sensor and crank sensor. Maybe a wire could have been crushed inside the protective loom when manuevering the engine?

Thanks for the info, I don't think I was aware of a second ground on the passenger side. As for the fusable link, I already replaced that little harness that contained that, cause the old one cooked itself somehow. How do I go about testing the DIS, cam sensor, crank sensor and the harness to see which one is the culprit? Thanks

-Randy RVA75@yahoo.com

Usually, it will still start with a bad cam sensor or DIS, just run like crap. A bad crank sensor generally kills it dead. Check the harness for the crank sensor. It's common to wiggle against the belt and get cut.

Back