Problems with Catylitic Convertor

Thomas A

Well, I pushed my car out into the driveway today, and gave it a nice bath after it had been sitting all winter in the garage. Charged the battery up and got it started. It fired right up, but it wasn't idling very well. Oh well, modified car sitting all winter, I wasn't too shocked. Well, after I let it run for about 3-4 minutes, I started getting a little bit of a sulfer smell. Then it started to smell HOT! So I shut it down and got out to take a look, and my driver's side catylitc convertor was glowing orange. That can't be good. They have maybe 12k miles on them and are 2.5" Dynomax Super Convertors. Any idea what might be cuasing this? Thanks.

Thomas :confused:

Anyone?? I think that it is either running super lean on the one bank or there is somesort of restriction in the exhuast system. It was able to blow all the water and condensation out of the pipe, so I think it's still open. Any idea on what could be happening? I've heard of injectors sticking after they have sat for a long time, but I think that would cuase a rich condition and not a lean one. I did have to unhook and hook up the battery a bunch of times while working on the interior this winter. Do you think that could of fried or confused my chip??

Thomas

Thomas A said:
Anyone?? I think that it is either running super lean on the one bank or there is somesort of restriction in the exhuast system. It was able to blow all the water and condensation out of the pipe, so I think it's still open. Any idea on what could be happening? I've heard of injectors sticking after they have sat for a long time, but I think that would cuase a rich condition and not a lean one. I did have to unhook and hook up the battery a bunch of times while working on the interior this winter. Do you think that could of fried or confused my chip??

Thomas

So if it worked fine in the fall and it was sitting all winter... maybe you have a nest of dead rodents in the exhaust system? Is there exhaust coming out of the pipes?

Well, I thought about that possibilty also. There as exhaust and condensation coming out of the pipe. I would think it would have to be a major blockage to make a cat heat up that fast?? Hrrm... maybe I smelled cooked mice when I started it. Next question would be how to get it out?

Thomas

Okay, I'm an idiot! I had a plug wire fall off. Darn thing keeps coming loose. Any ideas on how to tighten it up? I squeezed the end of it a bit with a pair of pliers, so let's hope that helps.

Thomas

Thomas A said:
Okay, I'm an idiot!

You need to insure you don't cause damage here. You may have a defective wire. They're not supposed to be squeezed on. They should go on normally with a click. Also dielectric grease should be used on the inside of the rubber boot on the plug side.

They are Magnacore's. I paid way too much for them, so they really shouldn't be falling off. It's always the same one. It's happened 3 times now in about 2000 miles of driving. I'm pretty sure they have a lifetime warrenty, so I should pull it and send it back.

Thomas

Back