Bearings

ShawnSC1

If you were to install a good set of rod and main bearings. What would they be and why? I been reading alot of posts about good and bad sets. So please I need your help on this one. That way I know what set to go with.

Last edited:
Paul, I here a few guys saying they had to file something on those bearings. Is this correct or was it just a mistake on there part, or the wrong part #..

I have seen a few mention that the tang was in the wrong spot and others say that they did not have an issues with tang location. The bearings I purchased (clevite 77) for my crank and rods did not have any issues with improper location of the tang. Please note, the tang is for locating purposes, it is not to keep the bearing from spinning in the bore.

Paul

I used Clevite 77's as well and had absolutely NO issue's whatsoever. The problem some guy's were having as I understood it was that in later model engines(94-95) Ford moved that locator slot in the rods. I'm not aware of anyone with a 89-93 engine having that problem.(mine is a 90) When you have qeustions like this about a product the best thing to do is contact the mfg or rep for that co. that handles accounts for machine shops. The reps have heard about such issues because when there clients at the machine shops run into such a problem there the ones that get screamed at first and they have had to get to the bottom of things for there client. I'd be willing to bet Clevite has sets of bearings that fit the oddball rods that are out there(without filling on them) if you just ask the right person. This board is a good source for basic info on SC's but its not so good for a highly tech qeustion such as the one you have. Contact the proper people for your answer.

BT Motorsports said:
I have seen a few mention that the tang was in the wrong spot and others say that they did not have an issues with tang location. The bearings I purchased (clevite 77) for my crank and rods did not have any issues with improper location of the tang. Please note, the tang is for locating purposes, it is not to keep the bearing from spinning in the bore.

Paul

Thanks that makes alot of sence.

Mike, I see the main problem here. I have never seen a 94-95 engine apart, and a few posts I read where from those years. I don't think I will go that far and call the company. I am going with Clevite 77 bearing set.. Thanks

Back