gear question

89Superbird5spd

i did a search and couldnt find my answer. soooo i want to get 327 gears. and someone told me earlier that i could get the whole thing out of a '93 supercoupe. now my question is, can i get the gears from any '93 tbird or just the supercoupe? and if i do find what i want, can i just take the whole rear end? do the normal thunderbirds have independent suspension like the supercoupes? will that make a difference? and the main thing...is it possible to get what i need from the junkyard? (im a poor college guy, the junkyard is excellent lol) thanks
-RJ

You have several options.

89-93 Tbird SC auto all have trac-loc and 3.27(be aware, the thinking is some early early 89's might have had 3.08's)

92-97 V8 cars. Some can have 3.27's or 3.08's and with or with out trac-loc. I believe most 96-97 4.6's had the 3.27's and trac-loc

99 Cobra. Have all you need and are aluminum vs iron for less weight. 01 and newer will fit, but are set up to accept 31 spline half-shafts vs our 28's, just a simple swap of some things, if you find a really good deal, with seem to be few and very far between for them(owners think they have gold or something)

Note:
94-95 SC auto and all Mark 8's have 3.27's but did not come with trac-loc only traction control using the brakes. The marks are also aluminum.

Unless the rear cover has been off, most have a metal tag with what came in them so 3L27 would be a trac-loc 3.27's rear.

I have them in my 94, and love them. But remember my 1st/2nd gear is not as step as the 89-93 5spds. 5th is a little too much for me but can live with it. If I had a lot of mods with gobs of hp/tq I might have done 3.08's as I have limited traction now in 1st/2nd on a run.

my 89 5 speed has 273 and my 90 auto has 308 and i like the 273 myself i wish the auto had it too the way the torque is on these cars you dont need to rev them, mine pulls like a farm tractor from about 1000 rpm on up, my automatic feels slow after driving the standard its under boost a lot more and your not going any faster the standard feels so free but it has more mods too like exhaust

Last edited:
Back