Stock Subwoofer replacement

rmolinet

Where can I purchase the subwoofer speaker that comes stock with the Thunderbird SC . The one in my car is ripe. Thanks

Replacement for factory JBL sub!

I am not doing this, as I am overhauling everything. But, a good replacement for these factory subs is the JL 6.5" subwoofer. It fits almost perfect, i think you only need to trim a little plastic off the inside (there's a little piece that sticks up off the bottom, you'll know once you see inside it). Anyways, that's the best replacement there probably is, some people have got RadioShack speakers, but i think they stopped selling them, and they weren't subwoofers so they didn't have as good frequency response i would imagine. Anyways, IMO i'd say a JL 6.5" would be the best replacement if your wanting the factory setup.

Just to make sure no confusion, JL doesn't = JBL ;) I wasn't just missing the B!

Nick

Kicker w/ stock sub enclosure

I replaced my stock JBL sub with a Kicker of the same size using the stock enclosure and it sounded great.

likewise with a stock size rockford fosgate. (6.5" sub)be careful getting the factory enclosure apart. i ended up busting mine by being impatient.

I replaced mine with the Radio Shack one.
It worked but....terrible sound...no bass like the original.
Looks like I'll be replacing it with a better one.
Who sells the 6.5 subs?

replacement sub

i went with 2 audiobahn dual voice coil subs and a 1000 watt amp i only lost the space in between the wheel wells and it thumps the stock sub is junk in my opinion but understand people keeping it origional i just like my ,music......alot

I have one I'll sell cheap

rmolinet said:
Where can I purchase the subwoofer speaker that comes stock with the Thunderbird SC
I replaced my OEM JBL sub with the 6.5" JL. My OEM driver wasn't bad, I just wanted more bass than it come handle. I have my OEM driver packed in the JL box. I'll sell it to ya for $5 + postage. You'll have to remove the pigtail from your JBL & solder it onto my JBL.

68COUGAR

I just dropped in an audiobahn 12 off the stock amp and it sounds sooo much better. Didnt lose much room at all. According to th owners manual, the stock amp is 85 watts.

rmolinet said:
Where can I purchase the subwoofer speaker that comes stock with the Thunderbird SC . The one in my car is ripe. Thanks

Radio shack use to make a sub that was a bolt on replacement for the JBL sub. I have one in my 90. Their website use to say that the part number 400-1033 cost $21.54 with tax but I don't think they are offering that one anymore. If you go down to Radio Shack you might get lucky and get one that hasn't sold out as they are no longer listed on their website.

They do offer a 6.5 sub 970-0513 which has slightly different specs but would work for $17.99.

Here's the previous message I posted back in 2003:
It doesn’t get any cheaper then this boys and girls.. Some fine fellow clued me in on a cheap replacement subwoofer.

Hop on down to your local radio shack and get part number 400-1033. They’re $20.00 reg. and $10.00 when they go on sale. While your there pickup some solder-less female speaker connectors. They’re about a buck seventy for 6 or so. I used part number 64-3088, pack of 6. You’ll only need two.

Unplug the amp wires on both sides and disconnect the cable going to the subwoofer enclosure.
Using a #10 and #13 socket, remove your subwoofer amp and then the enclosure (4 nuts each).
Put the enclosure on a workbench. Remove the enclosure bracket bolts noting which way it went on. It is possible to put it back on backwards.
Remove the enclosure screws and crack the enclosure in half.
Remove the old speaker with a screwdriver totaling 4 screws. When you do you might notice that the old speaker's cone has separated from the foam.
Remove the cushion backing on the speaker’s magnet and install it on the back of the new speaker.
Install the new 400-1033 subwoofer in the enclosure.
Clip the cable harness near the old speaker’s solder points and copper it up to the solder-less connectors and crimp.
Slide the females onto the male ends (I love that part) and squeeze gently.
Reassemble the enclosure and install the bracket.
Temporally attach all electrical connection onto the amp and speaker.
Turn on the radio to insure that the new woofer is booming.
Once verified, disconnect the amp and enclosure wires.
Reinstall it and the amp back into the trunk.
You'll be booming once again.
Play some tunes by “The Who”, especially the ones that Keith Moon drummed in.

Last edited:
um. . . yeah, i'm with tec2. I dropped in a 10" Triangular Bazooka Tube, powered by a 500 watt amp. Enough to vibrate the mirrors, but won't make your head explode. And there's still room in the trunk for my snowboard. lol :cool:

I stick to my stock system

vivisex666 said:
um. . . yeah, i'm with tec2. I dropped in a 10" Triangular Bazooka Tube, powered by a 500 watt amp. Enough to vibrate the mirrors, but won't make your head explode. And there's still room in the trunk for my snowboard. lol :cool:

I not looking to shake the mirrors on car beside me at the red light. That's just a little bit too much for me.... :eek: the JBL stock system in quite adequate for my use. :)

thewood said:
I not looking to shake the mirrors on car beside me at the red light. That's just a little bit too much for me.... :eek: the JBL stock system in quite adequate for my use. :)
Go to Kragan, Checkers, Autozone and pick up one of their tube bass speaker (Usually on sale) and remove the speaker and use it.
I did this for about $14.00 and it worked very good. I'm not a car shaker freak but the extra bass is very nice. Oh, the bass tube works as a bongo for the kids...LOL :D

Back