to seal 'supercharger' tube to Intercooler inlet

turboken

When removing the blower, i left the SC top attached to the intercooler tube. I remember someone saying that you could use orange RTV (or copper hi temp)or something to seal that back up, instead of the FORD seal kit. could someone steer me right. thanks.

ken

Yes that's right

It has to be o2 sensor safe and with-stand 450 deg. and resist fuel etc. Surprisingly, you don't use gobbs of it either. Just a smooth even coat on 1 of the mating surfaces is all you need. All surfaces have to be cleaned of whatever was on there before. Get a friend to hold the top up while you position the tube to the intercooler, you don't want it to move around and rub off the RTV. Remember, 22ft lb. is the max for all of the top and IC bolts. Good luck

Shoot, there was nothing on the SC top or the inlet plenum....and I had the HG's replaced by FORD. those dumb-asses.

seal 'supercharger'

I can't picture not using anything on those joints. Ford's manual says to use propane around all of the connections to test for intake leaks, while the engine is idling, if you notice a change in the idle, you'll need to reseal that connection. I've used carb/intake cleaner to test for leaks as well. Good luck

Permatex copper RTV (orange) works great and is sensor safe. I use it on the SC top, IC tube connections, plenum to SC, TB to plenum, and on the return plenum to manifold connection.

It dries fast, seals good and cleans up easy when I have to take the engine apart the next time.

David

Last edited:
sealing

i used teflon pipe sealant. i read somewhere that the original seals were teflon and it seems to be working well. boost is up 2 or 3 psi. the check gauges light comes on when it gets up over 13.5 though. and no more oil spots on the driveway.

i used teflon pipe sealant.

That stuff is good for sealing threaded connections, but it's not good for sealing the surfaces of the IC tubes or any of other connections mentioned in this thread.

David

Back