Need help with my speedometer

quick35th

The speedometer in my 91 SC sticks sometimes. It works fine at first (most of the time), but after a little time when I come to a stop it will get stuck at around 20mph. Then when I get going again it will stay there and then suddenly shoot up to whatever speed I am at. Sometimes it moves very slowly before it shoots up. What could be causing this? I have already removed the speedometer and used compressed air and blasted it of dust. It seemed to work better after that but it still does it. The odometer works fine also with no problems. Could it be a speed sensor?

If it is a terminal problem I have several speedometers that I could swap it with, but I dont want the mileage all screwed up. Can I swap out the odometer of the bad speedometer into the new speedometer?

Sorry for the long post
Shane

Well, mine just stopped one day and from reading posts on this board, I found a little paper serial/part number tag holding the needle in place. It was REALLY HARD to see. You have to get it in front of a lot of kitchen lights or a halogen light. I got some tweezers to pull it out. I would suggest taking it apart again and checking for this little tag. Otherwise, it might be the speedometer gear in the transmission or the lines running to the speedometer.

Mine does that occasionally as well. Not a speed sensor problem, otherwise the odometer wouldn't register while the speedo needle was stuck. It is a speedo head problem, so it would have to be repaired or replaced.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

take the cluster out

ok try this, this is what happened to my 91, take the whole cluster out, really easy, then pull out the speedonmeter, no bolts just pull out, and look in the center of it behind the face of it, and there might be a little label in there, it happened on mine and i have heard of other stories about this, try it and let me know

The little label that you are refering to is yellow isn't it? If so it is still stuck to the top of the speedometer.

I got a big light and searched the speedo more and more and couldn't find anything. There is definately something interfeering with the speedo as I can feel it as I move the needle between 0-35mph. So now I dont know what to do. What I am thinking I should do is take the thing apart and take another speedo apart to and swap out the odometers. That way the milage will be acurate.

The last one I took apart neerly a year ago I busted up wile taking it apart so I dont want that to happen to this one. What is the best way to take the speedo apart? How do you get the needle off and how to get it back on? That was the biggest problem that I ran into when I broke the one a year ago.

Thanks for all the help!
Shane

Back