Need help with factory JBL

quick35th

Need help! Installing aftermarket CD and having trouble with the factory JBL sound

When I bought my 91 SC last week the JBL CD didn't work and the radio only worked when it wanted to and only in AM. So I want to replace the factory radio with a nice Sony Eplod CD player. Until then I put another factory radio in and then took out the CD unit. When I unpluged the CD player the volume went way down. That really isn't a problem but what I want to know is what will happen when I put in the aftermarket CD player? Is it going to be really quite too? If so, what can I do to aviod this problem? I need to fix it as soon as possible as I may have a date with this hot chick that I have been after for some time this weekend and want a functioning radio in the car so it is not acward between her and I.

Also I think the previous owner said the factory amp or the sub didn't work.

Edit: I plugged the original CD back in and it put out sound again.

Thanks!
Shane

Last edited:
stereo

ok i got a 35th too first of all first date u should be less interested in the radio and more interested in the chick come on now u cant learnt anything about here if your listening to music oh well as far as the stereo goes your gonna have to track down the stereo wires what i did was bought an amp traced out the wires the best place to stat is behind the back seat where they plug into the amp you cant use the stock amp theres no way to hook it up to your head unit pull your speakers out of the doors and panels and write down what colers go to the poitive and negatives on each speaker match them in back and label them ...now the part that hurts ...cut the wiring harness off "where the speaker wires go into the amp" and splice them into your amp now run power ground and remote back to your amp along with the rca's from your deck.. if your amps small enuff it will still fit on the shelf my stock speakers with an aftermarket amp and cd player sound way better than the stock one ever could have

Yes I will be paying lots of attention to the girl, but I just dont want it to be acward if it is stone quite in the car (I have gone out with a few girls that couldn't really keep a conversation going and I would run out of things to say to them because they were not saying much, but it could just be me?), but that is not what this thread is about.

Back on subject, I dont really want to retain any of the factory JBL stuff. All I really want is a nice set of aftermarket speekers and head unit. Thats all. Just like whats in my 35th. I just dont understand how it works in it. It came from the factory with JBL sound too and it no longer retains any of the factory stuff.

So if I hook up an aftermarket head unit in will it not put out full volume like when you unplug the factory CD and as a result you cant really hear the radio at all?

If so what can I do? Please help!

Thanks!
Shane

Ok, the problem with the volume (probably) has nothing to do with taking out the cd changer. The problem was that you put in another piece of junk factory head. When you put in a new head unit you won't have that problem. And when you buy something, don't buy a sony. spend the extra $ and buy an Alpine or Eclipse. The quality is soooo much better. And while your at it, replace the stock 5"x7" speakers, and run new wires, and then put in a sub and amp. . . have fun.
-----
I have a high powered Alpine deck (60 watts x 4) powering Eclipse 5"x7" Point Source Integrated Component Speakers. Then a 500 watt amp (a cheapy) pushing a 10" Triangular Bazooka Tube. It Sounds F#cking Awesome!!!

Thanks for the help guys! I dont know to much about audio stuff at all, so I appreciate any and all help.

Whats wrong with Sony? I have an explod in my 35th and it works just fine and has never given me any problems.

Also, what happens with the wires that used to plug into the factory CD? Do they just lay tucked away back in the dash?

Thanks!
Shane

DON'T cut your factory wiring!!!
You may regret it later!!!

Go down to best buy, and ask for a cable that will take your amp out of the loop!

They have a little wiring harness that takes the place of your factory amp (just straight through wires).
You can also use this cable to wire in a new amp, you just need the wiring diagrams and pinouts for them.

And then you could even use one of those walmart wiring adapters that will allow you to use the rest of the factory wiring wthout cutting into th factory wires!

Give me a few monutes to see if I can't find those wirign diagrams!

I'd hate to see you cut your facotry wires!!!

I'll be back in a few!

Here is a link with with the wiring diagrams, couldn't find my copies, must be on the other PC...

http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Radio/RadioRelatedPages.htm

It also gives info where to get a replacemnt subwoffer for about $20 if your is blown and rattling.

Be sure to do other searches, there are pages worth of factory jbl stuff.

You can also get a replacement factory head unit and replace the factory CD.

It actually works pretty good.

I had the same problem as you almost, only I could hear any radio at all with the CD player connected. I got a replacement CD player for $20-$30 shipped, and it has worked perfectly for over a year now. In fact there was a kenwood head unit in there when I got the car, and someone sent me a factory head unit for free. I sent him $10 for his trouble and shipping!

There is also a procedure, albeit a time consuming one, to adjust one of the pots inside the CD player. I did that once, and it worked for awhile, and then quit again, so I just replaced it.

I have considered replacing the amp with a bigger one, and keepng the factory head unit and CD; but it requires some signal level adjusters and such... not a top priority right now.

Last edited:
tek2 said:
you cant use the stock amp theres no way to hook it up to your head unit pull your speakers out of the doors and panels and write down what colers go to the poitive and negatives on each speaker match them in back and label them

I got a 92 thatcame with some cheap pioneer. It worked , but the sound quality was poor. I put in a different Pioneer and and it sounds soo much better. When I took out the old stereo, they already had an adapter harness and it allowed use of the factory amp. I took the wires off the factory sub and plugged them into an Audiobahn 12. Sounds very nice for only 85 watts. Go to Best Buy or some other stereo shop and get a harness plug for the carand tell them it hasa Factory amp They do have plugs to use the factory amp.

Thanks guys for all the help! I really appreciate it!

I think I will go to Best Buy today and see what kind of options I have.

There is something wrong with the factory amps and or sub. I dont know which is bad and dont know how to tell what is bad.

Did the JBL system have two amps? I have two different spair black ones laying around at my house that came for my wrecked 35th many years ago and it looks like there is a black one next to the ABS computer and a silver one on the bottum of the box. Is that correct or is the silver one aftermarket?

What I'll probably do is get the harness from Best Buy so I can by pass the factory amp and put a new amp in with a new stock or just bigger sized sub with aftermarket speekers and head unit.

Thanks again for all the help!
Shane

My head unit doesn't exactly work so I will be replacing everything factory audio related in the 91. I dont really care to keep it original either so it is no biggie, but thanks for the help!

Shane

The Answer

OK - so you're in a bind - here's the answer for now:

When you remove the CD from the JBL system you unplug the "return" speaker wiring. Thus the low sound output from any radio - stock or aftermarket.

To regain the sound all you need to do is bend two paperclips into a "U" shape. Locate the rectangular six pin connector you unplugged from the CD.
Use the paperclips to "jump" the connections. If you hold the connector
facing you with the notched pins at the bottom, insert one paperclip into the top middle hole and the hole to the right of it. Do the same for the bottom pair of holes. You have now recreated the loop needed for sound. Keep the two paperclips seperated.

This gives you the opportunity to do the following:

1) Take your time deciding on what to do as far as replacing the head unit, sub, speakers and amps. Buy what you like and sounds good to your ear and wallet.

2) Most important - go get the girl!!! Be nice. Don't mess it up!!

It is easy to maky your own crossover harness allowing you to use the factory amps and speakers with aftermarket head units. Takes a little patience and good soldering skills.

If you have any questions, email me msg419@aol.com.

Good luck,

Mark
'93 SC

Back