head gasket repair ? what do i need

ratedpg89

well i just found out that its my turn for blown head gasket. just was wondering if any one has any insight or info that i might need ? i am planning on getting the upper engine kit that supercoupe performance sells and head bolts from ford. i work at a ford garage so was hoping to stay with ford parts as much as i could. i found that my water pump is leaking and my timing chain cover is leaking right before i found out my hg was blown. so i am replacing all these while i have it apart.any ideas for me? should i get the heads milled? and if i do would a 3 angle valve job and some head work be worth doing ? i figure that while they are off anything that needs done might as well be done. the vehicle has 94000 miles and just about 100 miles ago installed the flow master exhaust and down tubes. thanks guys any help will be greatly appreciated

What caused the gaskets to blow ???

How long was the car driven with bad HGs... Too much heat can really mess up aluminum heads since you work at a ford store I sure the have acess to a machine shop you might want to have them checked... Take a straight edge and run it across from oppisite corner to corner and look for excesive gap between the cylinders....

I just replaced the head gaskets on my 90 SC with 202k miles. The valves and seats were re-ground due to wear. It is worth doing the work but as the first mail states, you must find the point of failure. Measure flateness of all matting surfaces and if possible, the cylinder diameters before reasemble.

Good luck,
KnezMan

I would recommend using ARP head studs, not the Ford bolts, as the studs are superior in every way to the stock style bolts. You can get the Chevy V6 kit that fits the SC for around $80 (search for more info on that).

Do as much to the heads as you can afford to do while you have them off - valve job, porting, etc. Head improvements are key to making good power with the SC, so it is very worthwhile.

bUY A FELPRO UPPER GASKET SET.or a complete set.
Buy from www.summitracing.com part # ARP 233-4003 head studs.
Deck heads the min.amount to get straight.
Get a SERDI valve seat cut.And do a port match
Check piston height to make sure you have no bent rods.
If you had anti-freeze in the oil,install new crank,rod bearings.

I would just pull the motor and get it all cleaned up and paint
some parts.This may be easiest in in the long run.And the end
results better.

GOOD LUCK Randy

Back