ran today at US 41

89Superbird5spd

welp i went to the track today and my best was a 14.7 with a removed air silencer and a ghetto ehaust (cats, and flowmasters, no resonators) the kid who had the car before me was kinda dumb. but anyways...14.7 with only those mods aint bad. i also wheel hopped/spun the tires all the way through 1st gear. i wonder what i would have ran if i would have hooked up? lol oh well. not bad for a first try
-RJ

That is very impressive! Must have had excellent air and decent traction. I would have expected no better than about 15.0 @ 92 or so for that car. Way to go!

Nice time! I just looked up specs on that track from a few places and some list that the US 41 dragway is 500ft above sea level and others list 650ft above...either way, seems like a pretty good track to run at in nice weather. I'm stuck w/ a track that's ~1100-1200 ft above sea level here(unless I take a few hr's trip to a track w/ similar elevation to US 41). Anyways, did you remove anything from the car on that run? I would think that removing your spare might not do you any good being that it would take away some of the weight on the back tires that like to spin easily on the SC's :p ...although, I may be wrong. I know I haven't had good luck removing the spare on a RWD car I raced before. A good practice on RWD cars at the track is to air down the rear tires(I normally run ~32psi cold on street tires for daily driving...but air them down to ~18-20psi on the track, you wouldn't beleive how much it helps)...also, most RWD owners air up their front tires a bit. I usually take a cheap little $15 air compressor powered by the car's cig lighter outlet when I go to the track unless I take my truck to carry more tools/my large compressor, etc...Another thing I do is pull around the water box(if you can, I've been to one track where there wasn't really room to pull around it..a small 1/8th mile track in GA)..large burnouts on street tires don't accomplish much except wasting rubber, before pulling up to the line, take off hard enough to spin the tires and turn them completely over to clean them off and heat them up a little. Most people also do small launches to test grip before staging. I took my 60' times down from ~2.3's to 2.0's by letting some air out of the tires and doing some light spinning before running the car. Good luck w/ your future trips to the track and sorry for rambling on so much. :eek:

Wha, Wha, wha try running at 3500 ft...generaly .5-.8 slower than sea level.
I only get to run in good air maybe twice a year...but having a SC at high alt has its benifits....N/A cars are dogs up here. That Mustang GT that out runs you at sea level (stock vs. stock) well lets just say things equal out or in most cases the SC wins.

What day did you race? I was out their saturday night and watched a mitsubishi eclipse blow its motor up.

Back