ASC Button

SuperCB

Major noobie question here.....

Searched around but couldn't find any info in the "ASC" button (in front of the sunroof buttons). What does it do? Better yet, what is it supposed to do? Mine doesn't do anything.

I have never heard of an ASC button.

If I were to take a guess, I would say your car doesn not have the factory moonroof. Our factory moonroof's are made by Webasto.

However my wifes '99 Cougar has a sunroof made by The American Sunroof Corporation, ASC. Their logo is a red circle. Would that be your ASC button? Or perhaps there is another button someone added that happens to be near the ASC logo.

Interesting. The sunroof sure looks like a factory one. The button clicks, so it must do something. I will take a picture and post it when I get home from work.

automatic sunroof control

i have this button on my 90 SC. took me a while to figure it out too. when the button is on (pushed in), when the sunroof is open or on vent mode, and the car is shut off, the sunroof will close by itself. when the button is off (out) the sunroof will stay open when the car is turned off. if it doesnt do this it might be busted. thats basically it. hope it helps.

specops_SC said:
i have this button on my 90 SC. took me a while to figure it out too. when the button is on (pushed in), when the sunroof is open or on vent mode, and the car is shut off, the sunroof will close by itself. when the button is off (out) the sunroof will stay open when the car is turned off. if it doesnt do this it might be busted. thats basically it. hope it helps.

That's it! I wondered why sometimes the sunroof would close on its own when I shut the car down. :)

Here are some pics of the button of anybody is interested:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Thanks for the help!

SuperCB, if you get a chance could you post some pics of your actuall sun roof from inside and outside of your car? Just wanted to compare to the factory sunroof in my cars. Thanks!

HHMM...the letters on the switch dont look like the rest of the lettering inside the car. Something tells me its not a 'ford' sunroof. Perhaps its aftermarket or, i remember reading that some dealers could add sunroofs if the customer so wished, but it was different than those cars that came off the plant with them. Pretty cool tho. One question, are those 'one touch' buttons? like, you push the 'open' button once and the whole thing opens? I know on mine you have to keep the button pushed until the whole thing opens/closes.

Well, that is indeed the American Sunroof Corp. logo. You have a non-factory installed sunroof.

I doubt you could adapt this feature to the Webasto roof the SC came with.

Andy 94SC said:
Well, that is indeed the American Sunroof Corp. logo. You have a non-factory installed sunroof.
I doubt you could adapt this feature to the Webasto roof the SC came with.

Hey hey! I've heard that before! Give me the wiring diagrams for the ASC sunroof and if i can get the necessary parts, i could probably do it!

I agree with Paul that would be a cool addition to a factory sunroof. I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend on it, but here is some info I found and can share if anyone wants to persue it further:

New style of generic switch:

ASCswitch.jpg

Probably interfaces with some type of controller to work. Would also be cool if it shut the roof when it started to rain!

American Sunroof Corp. is now American Specialty Car:

http://www.ascglobal.com

Roman Chariots (close to me in OH) is an authorized dealer:

http://www.romanchariot.com/products.htm

You can find one near you:

http://www.ascglobal.com/aftermarket/licensee/default.htm

CaifanSC said:
HHMM...the letters on the switch dont look like the rest of the lettering inside the car. Something tells me its not a 'ford' sunroof. Perhaps its aftermarket or, i remember reading that some dealers could add sunroofs if the customer so wished, but it was different than those cars that came off the plant with them. Pretty cool tho. One question, are those 'one touch' buttons? like, you push the 'open' button once and the whole thing opens? I know on mine you have to keep the button pushed until the whole thing opens/closes.

yes they are. on mine it opens all the way with a touch, closes all the way with a touch, and if you hit the button again while its moving it'll stop right there. also, if its open all the way and you hit "vent" it will close all the way and pop up. its pretty sweet. :)

wow! thats definatelly cool. I'll check out your links George...i would be willing to do it! As long as i get the diagrams im pretty confident i can...i wired the 'trac assist' button on the 94 info center to power an accessory when a few members said it couldnt be done...so this woudl be the 'next' challenge. It would be helpful if SuperCB could get me some numbers from the switch, or the sunroof its self...maybe even off of the sunroof motor. That way i can maybe try and find some diagrams or info from it on the net. I would love that 'one touch' function on the sunroof man.

Actually I started working on a way to use Webasto parts to get the factory moonroof to express open. GM cars such as the Bonneville, LeSabre and Deville use a Webasto sunroof very similar to ours, and the have express open. I plan to use one of those controllers.

However they do not have the express close (yet) because it is a safety issue.

CaifanSC said:
wow! thats definatelly cool. I'll check out your links George...i would be willing to do it! As long as i get the diagrams im pretty confident i can...i wired the 'trac assist' button on the 94 info center to power an accessory when a few members said it couldnt be done...so this woudl be the 'next' challenge. It would be helpful if SuperCB could get me some numbers from the switch, or the sunroof its self...maybe even off of the sunroof motor. That way i can maybe try and find some diagrams or info from it on the net. I would love that 'one touch' function on the sunroof man.

I'm nursing a broken rib right now, so the best I can offer at this point is some pics of the sunroof. I also have a wiring schematic, but it looks like it may be for the Webasto sunroof's.

Click here for pictures.

my '90 came with the same sunroof... and ive been meaning to get on here and ask about it...

it has 4 buttons... OPEN, CLOSE, VENT, ASC
unfortunaltly you still have to hold the Open to get the windown to open all the way, but close is one touch

Some of the ASC sunroofs have a automatic close feature.. you push a button (Maybe the ASC button?) and it sets it to auto close.. when when you park the car (sunroof open) turn off the car.. the sunroof automaticlly closes... :)

Well, i have the shop manual for the 89 & 94 so im sure that some of the factory wiring for the sunroofs are there. I have the the 94 evtm, and a pack of wirings for the 89 but its not the evtm...not sure if they are the same ones. NOw, if i could get my hands on the ASC wiring...that would be pretty much all I need to see to start working on it.

I am all for anyone who can set up a way to interface these automatic features with the factory sunroof on my 93. I dont mind reworking the wiring and moving or changing the buttons. Keep us posted guys.

Paul

I cant come across any wiring diagrams guys. If anybody comes across anything let me know. Im willing to do it, but i need some diagrams from the ASC one. I tried searching ebay for a switch to see if I can figure out the way its hooked up but i found nothing. :rolleyes:

Back