Battery Disconnect Question

kenewagner

I had my SCs battery disconnected for a while. When I hooked it back up and started it up the idle is very rough and I want to die. There is a strong odor of gas leading me to suspect it is running rich. Will the computer relearn the idle after driving it awhile. I read somewhere it has to reestablish settings after being dissconnected, is that true.

Yes, your computer will have to re-learn the variables since the battery has been disconnected. One thing that you may want to check for sure is that you've got your injectors fully seated. I'm not too sure what all you did take off your engine though. You won't have to drive the car though since the tranny is not controled electronically. You simply need to let it run for a few minutes. You can drive it at different speeds/rpms before going crazy with it. My personal guess is that you may not have all the vacuum tubes connected properly. That happened to me when I first tore into my engine and got it back together. Just hooked 2 up backwards and boy did it not want to run! I'll look close at your engine in the other post to see if I can see anything...

Hey there Sam thanks for answering. I didnt unhook any vaccumm lines or wiring that would be engine related. I made sure all my IC connections are sealed tight and the iC was pressured tested, so no leaks there. It had a strong smell of gas like it was running way to rich. I was sure there would be no problems since I didnt touch the engine except the IC side of it. It will be a couple of days before I have time to play with it again

You haven't changed anything like the MAF, have you? Just wondering...I didn't see anything abnormal from what I could see of your engine either. I'd check the fuel rail and injectors closely as you were working around them and may have done something there. I know that the seals on the top of the tank where the fuel pump is sometimes go out and you can get a gas smell when you've got a full tank. Could be that. I guess I'd try to check as much of the fuel lines as possible. I'll do some thinking and get back with you...

Back