Anyone got a dirt bike/dual purpose bike?

Turbo351

I've had bikes since I was a kid and I'm thinking about getting back into it. A friend of mine just bought a new Suzuki DRZ400 dual purpose bike. The bikes I've owned before are Yamaha MX80, Honda XR100, Honda XL350, Yamaha DT200. I've got my motorcyle license so I'm definitely looking for a dual purpose bike in the 200-400cc range if you know of any good used bikes for sale.

Wise words from the resident wise-***. The seat height of the bike varies depending on the model, not the engine size. A 650cc bike usually has the same seat height as a 350 or 400, it's just a lot heavier. The 200 or 250 cc bikes are a lot lighter and better suited for more agressive off road use. The seat height can also be adjusted on most bikes.

fast Ed N said:
Anything much bigger, and your feet wouldn't touch the ground either !! :p

cheers,
Ed N.

I know that Wayner, I just wanted to get you going ... it worked. ;)

OK, so I'll rephrase. Much bigger, and it would be too heavy for you to pick up when you drop it.

You're going to have to try a lot harder than that to get me going. You either have way too much time on your hands or your BMS is acting up.

Lifting a bike is not a problem unless your talking about a Goldwing. All of these dual purpose bikes including the 650 are less than 350lbs. My XL350 was around 300, and my DT200 was 230. The Suzuki DR400 is 290 or so.
I'm still considering getting another DT because they are so light they are really easy to throw around. The only problem is they are underpowered for highway use.

My 2 cents

I have run Motocross for awhile now and I know people who have D-sport bikes. I hear from them that if your going to do alot of city riding, get a bigger CC bike. Sound weird? Well the reason for that is, the bigger CC, the more bottem end. Lots of get up and go for stop and go traffic. ( You probably know this) 200's 250' even 300's are great country riding bikes, but dont do so good in TO traffic. Not saying that wouldnt be fine, in some cases you will just be on the throttle ALL THE TIME. The new Yamahas only have a 225 and a 200 and I have been told that they are decent, but like the honda better. My bodies and I agree the Honda's XR650L is great, all around bike. I dont know your driving style and the size of the bike should really reflect that. ( just like driving a car)

I run a newer 2002 CRF 450 and I love the new 4 stroke power that Honda has come out with. As you can tell, I am a Honda fan all the way!! :D

Anyway... hope this helps a bit ..If not ...sorry to waste your time :rolleyes:

Remember ..this is just me and my friends thoughts :D
J

Back