Aftermarket DIS???

BlackSC

My car is throwing a 217 code - which points to a coil not receiving the right primary input. The coil tests out fine with an ohmmeter. So I'm thinking it's the DIS, as many other posts indicate. What they don't indicate is whether or not an aftermarket DIS unit is a mistake or not. I know that when it comes to electronic parts, Motorcraft is often better. But:

$113 - Manufactured by Neehoff (sp?) from Schucks
$174 - Ecklund from Napa
$88 - Standard Motor (Blue Streak) from Carquest
$332 - Motorcraft from the stealership

So I'm real tempted to go with a cheap unit. Any thoughts? Anybody know anything about these brands? Just thought I'd ask, I know you usually end up getting what you paid for but 90 bucks versus 330 is just too big of a difference. Let me know what you guys think.

Brian

Numbers

Here are the Ford Part numbers to cross reference. This is from the FAQ "Members only" section:

Sorry...outdated info.
See post below.

Last edited:
Here you go...

More Mfg numbers:

Applications: 89-90 SC 3.8, 89-90 XR7 supercharged 3.8, 89 Taurus SHO 3.0
Ford Part: 1U2Z 12A297 BB (Old: E9DZ-12A297-B)
Motorcraft Part: DY-960 (Old: DY-554)
Neihoff Part: FF414
Echlin Part: TP56
KEM Part: E326
Standard Part: LX231
Borg Warner: CBE41
GP Soreson: EL146

Applications: 91-93 SC 3.8, 90-95 Taurus SHO 3.0, 93-95 Taurus SHO 3.2
Ford Part: 1U2Z 12A297 CB (Old: F1SZ-12A297-B)
Motorcraft Part: DY-958 (Old: DY-655)
Neihoff Part: FF424
Echlin Part: TP502
KEM Part: E329
Standard Part: LX242
Borg Warner: CBE58
GP Soreson: EL172

Applications: 94-95 SC 3.8, 94-97 T-Bird & Cougar 3.8 (California emissions ONLY!), 94-01 Mustang 3.8
Ford Part: F4ZZ 12K072 A
Motorcraft Part: DY-689

Jason Marsh posted that the DY-960 and DY-958 were interchangeable. (He is using a 90 module on his 93.) I am also under the understanding that all are made by Standard, and just re-packaged under other brands.

I have also swapped a '90 DIS module to my '93 SC and it seemed to run fine.
I was told before that the difference was in the date coding and that was it.

Last edited:
I would see if anyone is selling a good used one, It would be better to put a ford one on rather than some other kind.

the car is a 93

I've seen a used one on ebay for 90 bucks - it just seems that for the same price I can have something new.

Thanks for that list Phil, if I see something along those lines I'll pick it up. Saw some sho's down at the junkyard but don't think they have engines any more. If a 90 SC module will work on a 93 maybe I can test to make sure it is the DIS - I know a guy who lives in the same complex as me with a 90 or possibly an 89. Guess it's time to send in some member dues, especially if you're copying me data out of the members only forum.

So which is better - new or used? Aftermarket or Ford? Still tempted on that aftermarket unit - anybody have bad experiences with aftermarket DISs?

Last edited:
The original one on my SC was going bad and I didnt have time to wait for a new one to get sent from ford. I ordered one from Orilleys (its like Auto Zone for those of you not in the midwest) and put it on the car. It ran kick @$$ for a block. No joke ONE BLOCK. Then it ran worse then the one that was going bad. I ran out to the country and picke up the one off of my 89 and put it on the 93. That was in JAN and its still running okay.

I would get an oem one

Chris

I'm fairly certain that Standard makes them all and just re-brands for the other guys.There was a long period a while back when no-one made one, then Standard started up again.

thanks for the comments guys - I think I'll buy the one that's still labeled standard auto, and we'll see what happens. If it immediately doesn't work I can take it back (and Chris can say I told you so), and then I'm sure I'll be in the market for a Ford unit.

I'll keep this thread updated. And btw member's dues are finally in the mail.

Brian

Last edited:
Quick update. Talked to Carquest guys, they turned out to be ****. After they told me to come down the next day to pick up my "DIS" I went down there and found that they had ordered the magnetic pickup (cam or crank sensor, don't know which) for a NA V6. Sure enough, look in their catalog, it says "except SC". Stupid, I told them it was an SC. So they don't get my business. Ordered Motorcraft item from Rockauto, 200 dollars for DIS and 2day shipping. Didn't have heat sink compound today so will install tomorrow. I'll put the results on this thread.

Brian

Seems to have fixed it...

Put the Motorcraft DIS on this morning and it seems to have done it. So anybody who has codes 215 216 217 look seriously at the DIS and not the coil like the code indicates.

Brian

Dis Module

I can tell you from experience that it is best to stick with oem this time.
Ford had an update on that module because of some reliability problems from what I understand. I tried 2 different modules from earlier SC's and they wouldn't work. I ended up buying one from a Motorcraft jobber for 165.00

Back