Correct hone procedure?

LarryH

Will be reassembling motor this weekend with total seal's conventional ring set. They are recommending 220 base hone followed by 2-3 light passes with a 400 stone. The cylinders are then cleaned thoroughly and quick seat (total seal's proprietary seating compound) is massaged into the walls. Skirts are lightly oiled and rings lightly coated with WD 40. Does this all sound about right? The only reason I ask is that if you call total seal, you are likely to get different answers from different tech/sales people.

larry

Sounds like it would work to me. Although what the h@ll's their proprietary sealing compound? I've never had to 'help' rings seal. All my motor's with moly rings are usually sealing before they even fire the first time. I've never had one smoke or use oil from the first instant.

I have never used there compound.But I have always finished
with a 500 hone.This is for racing engine.

RANDY

Last edited:
Quick seat is a blackish, carbon appearing powder that they urge you to massage into the cylinder walls. I agree that ring seating should not be an issue but it certainly was for us (leak down ranging from 7-17%, loads of smoke under boost, and a missing quart of 20/50 after 230 miles). A call to Total Seal again produced a different recommended hone procedure of 4-5 medium passes with a 280 stone and that's it. Enough to make a guy wonder if there really is a "correct" method.

The correct numbers are the one you got from Total Seal.
The number 500 stone is for jumping on the drag strip
5 minutes after the motor has been buttoned up.But
I use the same for my street motor 500 just a couple
passes after a 280 to 300.

All the numbers a correct that have been given.
Just dependes on your uses of the motor.I beleive
the rings should be seated after about 2 to 3 minutes
of run time.If not cylinders are not round.Or rings are
upside down,or etc.Did you use torque plates when
boring.Was the motor block warm when boreing.
Was the cutting fluild cold when cutting bore.should
be warm if not hot.Same when honeing.

Randy

Last edited:
No friggin clue. I doubt that this was all adhered to. Based on those points, I'll ask the 2nd machine shop to check the bore for symmetry. Thanks for the insight.
Larry

LarryH said:
Will be reassembling motor this weekend with total seal's conventional ring set. They are recommending 220 base hone followed by 2-3 light passes with a 400 stone. The cylinders are then cleaned thoroughly and quick seat (total seal's proprietary seating compound) is massaged into the walls. Skirts are lightly oiled and rings lightly coated with WD 40. Does this all sound about right? The only reason I ask is that if you call total seal, you are likely to get different answers from different tech/sales people.

larry

Larry I am in the same stages as you. But I have not ordered my Total Sealed rings yet. Instead I am taking the block in to get honed, and jet cleaned. But before I do I should let the shop know what to do. I thought alls you have to do is just add a nice finish to the cylinder bore. In that case, is it posible for you to scan a copy that came with your ring set. That way I can show the shop the correct way to do the job for these rings. If not I will have to order the set before I take the block in..

Shawn, according to total seal (I am using conventional total seal rings as opposed to gapless BTW) 3-4 medium passes with a 280 stone is all that is required.
Larry

Back