Headlight Problem

NATES93S/C

Someone please help?.. I have no headlight or fog....my highbeams only work on the flash to pass.....but all interior,park ,tail washer ect work. What in Gods name is going on :(.

common problem on SCs

There was a recall on headlight switches... For some reason the ceramic piece would get to hot and burn up the conections... I had to replace mine because when I would turn them on 5min later they would shut off and not work ... 25.00 at your local ford store..

Hey do you have the recall # or any info that I can take to the local Ford stealership? Can I still have this recall proformed?

I too have a head light problem with my 91 SC. After maybe 20-30 minuts driving at night with the lights on the will start to flash off and on. I have narrowed the problem down to the light switch because if I remove the dimmer switch wile the lights are going on and off they still flash on and off. Also the fog lights are off as it is doing it.

Thanks!
Shane

No longer valid

You are gonna have to buy a new one... That is what they told me .. I guess it is like a warrenty they only have to cover it for so long... Like 10 yrs or so you could call the stealership and ask maybe you will get lucky...

The problem runs a little deeper than that. Even if you change the headlight switch (recall or not) it will eventually fail or the multi-purpose (stalk) will fail; because there is way too much amperage going thru the stock wiring when using headlights & fogs together. A cheap fix is to isolate the fogs on another separate ciruit - like you were adding aftermaket lamps. The better long term fix (had to do it on my '93 & '94) is to install the headlight wiring harness which uses relays - like the ones sold by Competition Lighting for about $50. You can then upgrade the wattage of your head & fog lamps as well without any problem. I believe Jegs and a couple of other catalogs also sell similar harnesses. But check out Competition Lighting.com and it only takes about 30-40 mins to install the permanent solution.

Thats exactly what I was going to do. Replace the switch and get an aftermarket wiring harness. I figured I would take a look at the one offerd from Jegs since it is cheaper than the Compition Limited unit and I'll get an emplyee's discount on the Jegs unit too!

Thanks for the info!
Shane

Back