If there is a head gasket failure what should the plugs look like??

jamesgangel

I am diagnosing my car and have the plugs out. They all look pretty much the same with tan on the ground electrode. Not white and not wet. The car has been sitting for about 5 days though.

If i did have a bad head gasket what would they look like?? Please any assistance will help me out in getting this bird diagnosed and fixed. You will probably see many posts by me in the last 7 days. :)

I can send pictures of the plugs if needed.

Thanks,

James Gangel

I had my head gasket leak on the rear drivers side cylinder.
I am told this is the norm for this cylinder to leak .My plug
in this cylinder looked clean.as in steam clean.

RANDY

You may also see no change in plug color.

Before the leak gets bad enough that water gets into the cylinder, the cylinder exhaust gasses will get into the water jacket. This is because the explosion is much higher pressure than the water pressure. At this pojunt, there will be no change in plug color, and you won't be able to detect a head gasket leak with a compression test.

When the leak gets bad enough that water gets into the cylinder, then things are different, and you'll probably see what Randy does. At that time you may be able to detect the leaking cylinder with a compression test - definitely with a leakdown test (at 100 psi).

So, it all depends on what stage your leak is at - if you have one.

well....

i do have white steam coming out of the exhaust....?? I say steam because there are litteraly puddles on the ground under each exhaust tip after about 5-10 min of idle.

jamesgangel said:
i do have white steam coming out of the exhaust....?? I say steam because there are litteraly puddles on the ground under each exhaust tip after about 5-10 min of idle.

After 5-10 minutes of idle with a hot or cold engine? If the engine's cold, then that's expected. If it's hot, then it doesn't sound good, but could still be intake gaskets.

Good luck.

Back