milage between sparkplug change?

ddw350

ive got about 30,000 miles on the factory motorcraft plugs,the base of the plug has a little rust on but ive had no misfires or sputtering,how long can these plugs go? cause' im not changing them till i have to...

Double plats

Are supposed to be good for 100,000 miles... I used some right through 130,000 they were worn but still working...

SuperCoupe007 said:
130K miles :eek: :eek: :eek: ... did you notice a big change in performance when you put the new plugs ???

Mine have 72500 on them. I have a new set and I tried to do the job myself.. forget about it.. I'm gonnahafta farm that work out to a real expert, either that buy a $40.00 pair of 10 inch boot pullers.

Plugs on my Jeep lasted 'til 100k, you could really tell the difference there and thats a 4 cyl.. lol.

If at all practicle for your situation, I wouldn't go past the factory change intervals. These are DP, but the forced induction means they won't last as long as an N/A application. Your performance and mileage will suffer as the result..

No didn't notice any change in performance...

When I pulled them the electrode or whatever the thing is called that arcs to the hook were almost completely gone... I still got them in my pile of junk the originals from 1988....

You guys must have some real good or plugs you buy since my set from last year with about 6000MI was starting to missfire.

Iridium

I had stockers in until about 110,000km (65,000 miles) until I yanked 'em. I put in NGK Iridium plugs and I LOVE THEM! Before the idle was really rough and even with 94 octane she was a bit rough under high boost. Now much smoother. If you're planning on putting in new plugs I highly recomend Iridium. :D

I changed my original plugs and wires at 106,000 (or i should say i HAD them changed....only car i have EVER owned that i had someone else change spark plugs for me.... a mechanic friend that i trust needed a set of snow tires for his truck and i had some extras.....so it worked out). anyway you should not go that long (i had just purchased the car...) but at 30k you have a LONG way to go before you need new ones. I've heard good stuff about the NGK iridiums but if you dont wanna spend quite that much at least go with the Autolite Double Platinums...

plugs after rebuild?

What about changing the plugs after an engine rebuild (break in period)? During the break in period the engine burns some oil, wont this shorten the life of the plugs? I have 10K on a rebuild and the engine has a slight misfire (but I may also have an air/fuel mixture issue) Sorry this isnt exactally related to the original post. JJ

guess i'll let em go untill it starts missfiring......or another 30k anyway..thanks for the input!

james, you don't have to change the plugs after break in when the whole car is new.......so there would be no reason to have to do that after an engine rebuild. If the cylinders were honed properly and the rings are sized correctly it should not take that long to stop burning oil anyway....

my stock sc has 76 k and still going my old sc i put in plugs and it was still missing i put on wires motorcraft and still missed i had to replace plugs again the bad wires must have killed the new plugs they are colder plugs though like awsf32p. now its a rocket around 250 to 260 hp, lol my friends are afraid to drive it they say its to fast

Last edited:
Back