Low Speed Fan

SCaddict

Is the low speed fan supposed to come on when you turn your A/C on? I thought that it was but mine does not. Could my low speed not be working even though the hi speed is?

One of the speeds is supposed to kick in when the A/C is on. I thought it was the low speed myself, but someone else stated they thought it was the high speed. If its not happening, then it could be the relay in the IRCM box in front of the air cleaner. Try tapping on it to see if it makes a difference. If not, you'll need to start tracking it down with a voltmeter. You can check the low speed by just letting the car idle and watch the temp guage. When its around the "o" in norm, it should start up. "r" to "m" is where the high speed starts up.

I checked the low speed fan today and it did not come on. The car got to them m in "Norm" before it came on and I think it was just hi speed. Could the low speed not work and the hi speed work?

I think (emphasis added since the diagrams I have aren't good enough to tell how the windings are stacked) that is possible to have 1 speed and not the other. There are certainly 2 relays in the IRCM box; one for low and 1 for high, and there are 2 sets of windings in the fan motor. However, I recall someone posting long ago, that the 2 windings were not supposed to both be energized at the same time.. In other words, one or the other is on.

You can of course, check the winding resistances yourself. Thats simple enough to do.

I just checked the fan. I jumped the fan from the battery and both the Hi and Low speed work!! I let the car warm up and it gets all the way to the R in NORM and still no fan. The sending unit seems to be working as I unplugged it and the gauge went all the way down and I plugged it back in and it went back to the temp of the vehicle. If there are 2 relays in the IRC can you change them and if so how do you get the backing plate off?

Dose your air conditioning compresser run? If its lo or has no freon it will not activate the fan.

Yes my A/C compressor runs but still no fan. I just took the car to the parts store and got them to run a code scan and there was no codes at all. Is there a sending unit on this car other than the one by the thermostat? Are there any relays that can be replaced for the fan?

The 2 relays are in the black box in front of the air cleaner. It is the Integrated Relay Control Module (IRCM). Its a sealed unit though, so don't know if its possible to repair it. As far as the fan control, the ECT sensor sends coolant temp to the EEC. Its the EEC which triggers each of the 2 relays in the IRCM. The EEC also allows the A/C compressor to run if it doesn't sense wide open throttle.

The sensor which connects to the temp gauge is not the same as the ECT so disconnecting it would have no effect.

Back