Gas In My Oil??

nighthawk

Hello again....I am currenlty having a Detination Problem, and Recieved Code #41 from a Ford Decoder!!!

Now the Book that came with the Decoder Writes that #41=Injectors Out Of Balance/EGO sensor voltage low..(but refers both to 5.0)

In my Haynes Repair Manual #41=o2 Sensor Lean RIght Side......I am guessing that all 3 descriptions mean the o2 sensor is bad..???

So last night I am reading posts and searching .... well i come across a post about bad gaskets on the TB can cause ur o2's to read lean and make the car run Rich!!!!!!!

Well today i go and look at my dipstick out of curiousity...and I have confirmed that I do Have Gas in my Oil!!!!!! But it starts very easily, and does not smoke upon initial start up!!!! So I am thinking it is not yet that severe????

So i also went and purchased 2 new o2 sensors and ordered the TB gaskets!!!!!

I am 100% sure all my Vacuum Lines are Brand new...or thoroughly inspected(but will do again for eliminations sake)

Is there any other things I can look at for the causing of Gas in my Oil????????

Just when I thought I was almost on the road...I go and find Gas In My Oil....I am just glad I have enough Brains to Realize when not to Drive the Bird!!

Hello nighthawk.. just suggesting some ideas here. First, if the diaghram ruptured in the fuel pressure regulator, it could let gas into the vacuum system. It also could be in the process of failing, causing less detectable symptoms. Perhaps this is worth checking? Next, if the injectors are dirty, they could be causing a lean symptom or even releasing fuel into the chamber after shutdown.. though from what I understand that would cause a hard starting condition.

Well today i go and look at my dipstick out of curiousity...and I have confirmed that I do Have Gas in my Oil!!!!!! But it starts very easily, and does not smoke upon initial start up!!!! So I am thinking it is not yet that severe????

I am curious about what you are saying here, as I am currently experiencing startup difficulty and a rich mix upon startup.. you may have found some of my posts about this in your search. How exactly do you identify smaller quantities of gasonline in your oil? And in the peticular context you intended, what would these symptoms be a sign of?

hey Digital...thanks for the input I will email u to talk more personnal of the situation ...maybe we can help eachother through conversing...

anyways, Im not sure how old my fuel reg is....I need to take the blower off again anyway so i will look at it...but wat sort of tests can i perform on it to see if its Proper?

I am 100% sure of my injectors...I am always on 92 w/Slick-50 2x's yr..and changed my o-rings and fliter very recently!!!!

Yes my Bird fires up very easily with no hesitation and does not smoke watsoever!!!!!

But I do smell Gas In my Oil and can feel the texture change!!!!!But its color is still there and is still abit luby...

For these reasons I am basing the extent of my problem and how much fuel is actually getting in my crankcase....

Yes I have read some of your posts on this problem and thats how I have gained knowledge on how If your TB gaskets are weak ... this can contribute to codes to the o2 sensors..(if I understand wat I read properly..lol).so to take no chances on all my birds problems....this is wat I am going to do now

I bought 2 new o2 sensors..and 2 new TB gaskets!!! New oil and filter..and am going to search on the regulator and perform some tests to see the condition of mine before I suspect the Reg as my problem!!!!

As far as wat all these symptoms point too...I am still trying to figure that one out....but I feel I am getting very close!!!!!!I am hoping they point to something I intend to change out in the next few days :D :D That would be a break for a change!!!!

What thermostat are you running in your car? If you have changed to a 180 degree thermostat it is understandable you have gas in your oil as you are most likely not getting out of the cold start strategy and are basically running around (or have been during the coldest part of the winter) with essentially your "choke" on all the time. BTDT with my 89. Low degree thermostats are OK in warm weather but can cause this problem in the winter.

Duffy Floyd said:
What thermostat are you running in your car? If you have changed to a 180 degree thermostat it is understandable you have gas in your oil as you are most likely not getting out of the cold start strategy and are basically running around (or have been during the coldest part of the winter) with essentially your "choke" on all the time. BTDT with my 89. Low degree thermostats are OK in warm weather but can cause this problem in the winter.

Thanks...yes I am running a 180Tstat(brand new)...but I dont run the Bird in the Winter!!!Its T-shirt wheather right now and the Bird warms up with no problems...Before I pulled my batteries last fall i was getting Code #41...so I am suspecting a bad o2 sensor or a weak TB gasket to start!!

I just wanted to add to the choke part fast that Duffy posted....

If the Choke was sticking...wouldnt that show through you idle....my idle seems fine....Initial startup is bout 900 or so...then she goes down to bout 750 within 10 seconds or so....then down to 700 in park at warm and like 550 in drive while warm....I think my #'s may be off alittle. oops

Hello again. One way I am aware of to check your pressure regulator is to remove the small vacuum hose it uses from either the plenum or the regulator itself and check it for signs of fuel. If the diaghram in the regulator has ruptuered, engine vac will pull fuel into the crankcase through this hose. Check for wetness or even a smell.

As far as choke, I believe what Duffy meant was that when the ECU is running in open loop mode it ignores all input from it sensors and uses a predetermined database of operating charactersistics instead. In some instances (like when it stays in open loop due to a cold thermostat), this can cause it to run excessively rich and dump fuel into the cylinders. When enough unburned fuel enters the chambers, it will go past the piston rings into your crankcase, thus causing the condition you are observing.

I think this could be the most likely possibility, though I would also look into a reason for that lean 0r.

The best way to reduce the temperature of our cars is to reprogram the ECU or purchase a new chip so that the temperature the cooling fan activates at is lowered. You can also add a higher capacity radiator, and I would guess you might be able to change the parameter for what temp the ECU leaves open loop mode.

Hope that helps..

Hi Guys...I understand abuot how a faulty or bad...or even the wrong T-stat can make ur MotherBoard run an open loop On Start Stradegy

But I am sure 100% my T-stat is fine and not the problem.....I know this because my car reaches normal operating temperatures just fine....and with squeezing the upper rad hose....i can feel the transition of fluid!!!!!

I have said that my T-stat is brand new....but I replaced a 180 with an identical 180...I've been running a 180 for 6yrs now and never run into a problem with it!!!!!!!!

I just replaced my 02's and am waiting till monday for my TB gaskets....

Today my plan is to take the blower off and get if ready for rebiuld(doing myself)....just new snout seal for now!!!!! Also while off....I am going to inspect and test my fuel reg...and my Sensor on the TB....

Any other Ideas on things I can check while I am this far into the engine????

Thanks again...not trying to be a smartallleck on the T-stat...I am just this sure my problem does not lay here!!!! :eek:
Thanks again :cool:

Hey ...just wanted to say....I just thought of another reason on how I am differentiating on how much Gas Is In My OiL(especially upon cold start up)...

My spark plugs have about 50 miles on them with this Detination problem, and the other day i pulled all 6 plugs...to inspect...and they appeared to be just alittle bit of Carbon on them....not very much at all!!!
So i ran a wire brush on em and reinstalled them!!!

I figure if I am running that rich....all the signs would be there...but they are just starting to show their ugly mug.....and thats making it harder to find!!

But I guess I cannot get any further till my TB gaskets come in...and I can try it out!!!!!

Good Luck To Me!!!!tehehehehe :D

The only other thing I can think of to cause rich running is an intake leak after the MAF. If the intake gaskets were bad enough to let out a noticeable amount of air after it had been metered by the MAF, the cpu would not be able to detect the air loss and continue adding fuel as if the air was going into the engine.. thus running rich.

If you had a 180* thermostat in previously and it did not cause this problem, then I would guess it is something else. However, understand from what we are saying that even with a 180* you would steel feel warm coolant circulating through the top hose. Its just that so much warm coolant would be circulating that it would actually cool the engine below what the computers setting is for open loop. The engine would still be very warm to touch.

Hope that helps..

Hey Digital..Yup, I totally understand how it is possible that I could be running open loop start stradegy with a warmer engine, but I say I dont think this is my case becuase of the flow of Hot Fluid through upper rad hose....But Mostly I say not Becuase She reaches the NorM just fine!!!!

As far as an Intake leak....This is my most likely possibility.........(Ive never changed my TB gaskets in the 6yrs I've owned her), but they are on order..

As far as anyother Intake leaks......everything else has new gaskets(last spring....50 miles on em), the other possibility is that I screwed up Installing the Intake Manifold gaskets...which I dont think I did....these a very straigh forward...and I think if it was my Manifold gasket....I would have some severe Idle Problems...which I dont.....

But I did notice the other day.....while started in park.....(noticed while code testing)....Idle in park...then a crank on the steering wheel...this caused a bad idle drop.....so I am really thinking it is my TB....either the gaskets or the sensor itself!!!!

Thanks again for all the help Digital and Duffy and Scott!!!!!!You guys are helping me work through this mess....teheheh!!!!!!!! :D :D

Back