What would the yield be only modifying internal engine parts?

sizemoremk

Would there be any use to use a more aggressive cam, some porting and polishing, and maybe bigger valves , a 10% pulley, removal of cats and a hipo resonator.

What is the deal with 351 rods? What is the gain with those?
Where do we get bigger valves from? Is there another engine I can look for those on?

I mean without an aftermarket intake, TB, or any of the intake plumbing or SC tops etc... No computer tunning, or fuel injector changing...

Just engine work?

Would it be worth it in performance to do internal mods without the intake and fuel delivery mods?

I want to keep most of my bird original, and I have a friend with a machine shop in his garage that use to run a automotive machine shop.

I'd kinda like to get an idea...

I have no idea about how many miles are on my engine, as the previous owner replced the odometer at 75K miles, and I have no idea how many miles in between the failure and replacement. I also have no idea if the HG have been replaced.

She really runs quite well, but I was thinking of getting a SC long block and slowly getting it ready to stand by in the event of engine failure.

Just some random thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You wouold certainly realzie gains from internal mods but w/out the bolt ons, they would be noticeably less. It is very hard to say what gains one would realize as this is not the typical process. I mean to say that most start with the bolt ons and move inside later. To ask if it's worth it is really to ask if the cost is an issue for you. It would certainly pave the way for some serious gains as you decided to start bolting on the obvious.

351 rods are simply a replacement to the stock rods. many argue that they are not necessary and some are producing big numbers on stock internals. They do nothing for HP gains but are used as insurance against failure. based on what you are considering, I would probably lean towards not repalcing them unless you are independently wealthy, or just plain stupid as in my case.

Back