Know anything about turbo coupes?

thundercougar

I reciently acuired a 1985 turbo coupe 5speed. I was told it hasnet been ran in 2 years, So I get a new bat, 93 octane, and turn the key, It started but stayed at idle, and died after you let off the gas pedel, I turned the dist cap and it ran better, It got up to 3500 rpm then it would go no further,

We removed the air box and found a piece of sound deading material in it, so we ran it and if did a bit better but not much, Also, sparks are coming from the muffler, We plan on cutting that off.

Does anyone know how the sparkplugs are susposed to go< Firing order. Anyone got a diagram?

Thanks

Looking at the front of the motor starting at the water pump
fire order
1-2-3-4

distributor fire order clockwise
1-3-4-2

Randy

I would not know why you would be getting sparks from the tail pipe.

If you can't get it to idle or run smooth ,things to check.
1. See if timing belt has jumped.And check timeing belt idler.
2.flat spots on cam shaft.
3.if you run to heavy oil you will twist off the oil pump shaft
or strip the gears on the distributor and intermediate shaft.
Do not run 30 wt. oil.

Info sorce www.turboford.org & www.tccoa.com
Go fast Part sorce Esslinger Eng. 626-444-4919
Racer Walsh www.racerwaslsh.com

What part of the country are you from.I have a 85 5 speed
and a 88 auto turbo coupe.

Hope this will help ya!RANDY

My 88 wore 2 cam lobes down, and it was still under 100K, and I only knew that because the valve cover was off for a gasket. I don't know what caused it, or maybe someone replaced the speedo, but when I rebuilt it, it looked like a low mileage motor inside the block. And I have always run 10W30 in it (7 years) in TX.

ken

Just for clarification Randy; when you say don't run 30w are you refering to straight 30 weight oil, or do you mean xW-30? If the latter, what was run in these cars when they were new?

I know today we have 5w-20 due to the smaller tolerances from greater efficiency requirements..

Thanks!

I had trouble when I install a oil pump that would pump
more volume.The sheared the teeth off the distributor
and the intermediate shaft.So I switch back to a stock
pump but with some 40 wt oil.floored the car and sheard
the same parts off. So I tore it down again ,replace the parts
with 30 oil.Same thing happin again,but this time it also
twisted the oil pump shaft off.I replace every thing again
wITH A BRASS gear and a esslinger intermediate shaft
And went back to 10/30 wt oil.After that I had no ploblem.
I was told not to install a high volume oil pump and to run
a muti wt oil..I did and it worked just fine then.

In the winter I only put 5/20 oil in it.

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys, and Connie,

I dont belive that its the problem with the dist gear, but I will check,

The engine and tran was rebuilt. It ran ok till the guy tried to jump start it with a welder, and he said that it never started back up ever since. I found a wire that was blown apart and sodered it back together, Then it started but only stayed at idle. I think that the guy messed with the plugs and never really put too much thought that they went in order. A few friends told me to check the waste gate. that it may be stuck or open or something like that, They said it shouldnt be producing boost at 2grand. Im also gonna check the vacuum lines. and replace the fuel regulator cause it was leaking.

thanks alot.

If it runs its not the distributor gear.I just brought this
because it happins a lot with this car.And to answer other.

If he jumped it with a welder,it is hard tellin what could be
burnt up..Turboford is a good sorce to ask and get answer
to help you along.

RANDY

Its alive,

I took the MAFs off and cleaned it with carb cleaner cause there was oil in it, I noticed that there was a black wire cut on the connector, I got a sodering iron and conected it, turned the key and it started right up. It sounds pretty cool, But the clutch is stuck, it stays to the floor and doesnt come back up, I have to see if it is Cable, or hydro. Also the brakes do not work,

But I would expect some problems like that since I traded my PS2 and 5 games for the car!!!!!!!!!!

It needs paint and rechroming on the rims, but its nice for a trade of a ps2.

Thanks. Ill get pix.

If I remember right,I think it has a short cable.
The 85 turbocoupe is the best car that I have
ever owned.Easy to work on,with out the air-con.
And very relieable.

When I rebuilt mine,I replaced the clutch with a
SVO clutch from FORD and a aluminum fly wheel.
And went with a Esslinger aluninum head & cam.
And balance.And a bigger turbo,3" down tube
on the turbo.Wanted to add header but they
cost more than I had.

I never dynoed the 85 turbocoupe,but it would
smoke my SC ,In drag or road race.And for
a hole lot less money.

I think your going to be happy with it once you
get the bugs out of it.Your making me worry
though,I have not drove mine for about 2 years.
I start it up every once in a while.It has about
1500 miles since I went through it.I may have
to start driving it again.I can't afford to drive
my SC,

Good luck Randy

What are your suggestions of stuff to look for on TC's? There is an 87 for sale near my house. Not on the best shape, but it would be a good project car. What options are the best to look for. As far as I can tell it has the premium sound, auto dimming lights, power door/windows/mirrors, side turning lamps (on the bumper). The car is on the street, no tags, and with a sticker by the police saying the car is now considered as 'abandoned' b/c of lack of tags...so i guess i can make the guy a 'reasonable' offer for it and see if he takes it or leaves it. I'd love to have me a TC too!

Make sure it's not too rough

Since the car has some power options make sure that all of them at least work partially. Something important to do with the car is take it for a drive and turn on the headlights to make sure the headlight relay isn't shot. They have a tendency to get worn out and then the lights will just shut off on you, but soon after they will turn back on, cut out, turn on, and so on and so forth. I can tell you from experience it isnt very fun to be driving at night and all of a sudden have your headlights cut out on you. Also make sure what type of plugs it has in it. Platinums are a no no. You can also go on over to www.turbotbird.com and ask those guys what to look for.( It's a good idea they know their stuff.) :D Well, good luck!

turbo coupes

not to hijack the thread but i have 2 turbo coupes now (a 84 5-speed and a 88 auto)and why are platinum plugs a no-no? when i changed the plugs in both i put in autolite platinums and havent had any troubles yet

Usually Turbo Coupes don't like platinum plugs. When I put platinums in mine it would not run right at all. It would buck and jerk under boost. I guess if you are having good luck with the platinums then stick with them, but mine would only run right with Autolite copper plugs (or any other Autolite plugs that aren't platinum) and Motorcraft wires.

Back