$900 Catalytic Converters???

LXSC

When I bought an SC the guy told me he had the catalytic converters replaced for $900 CDN ($650-750 US). This seems extremely high for catalytic converters. Any idea where they came from? Are SC catalytic converters different from 3.8 L converters in terms of flow and threshold for heat and other abuse?

I would just some carsound highflows on ebay. You can get a universal converter and just have your exhaust guy install that. I just ordered a carsound cat for my fathers van for 55 bucks on ebay. The dealer wanted like 200 bucks.

JH

Are ya sure he didn't say cat-back or something? Cause $750 US is about right for a full cat-back system. I just ordered 2 2.5'' cats through SCP for like $80US each which is hella low compared to what that guy is saying. Either he's confused or full of ****.

Stock cats and resonator cost US about $550. + install and are the same as the LX as far as I can tell.

$900 CDA is about right for a stock replacement thats what some shop wanted to do for me as performance exhaust. :eek:

It is also noteworthy that not all SC's had the same setup. If I have it right, the 91-93 AOD's did not have EGR and hence had a 3rd cat which adds to the expense. 5spds all had EGR and only two cats as far as I know. Anyway, if you go to a shop they will try to tell you that your car needs 3 cats even if it only came with two. This adds needlessly to the expense. Check yours to see what you have. You will have to argue with them if you want only 2 installed.

Aftermarket cats require custom downtubes which will add to the expense as well. Depending on why you are replacing them, it is also worth noting that the y-pipe on an SC is stainless steel and doesn't usually require replacing - ever. If the cats are bad that is a different story. Generally if the exhaust is leaking it is because the resonator or the ball socket connector have failed. This is repairable.

Good luck with it!

The 94 - 95 5-speed cars had a small 3rd catalyst with a short resonator. That $900 CAN price is low now, if I look up a replacement catalyst Y-pipe from Ford Canada for my 95, full retail price is around $3000 !! :eek: Just crazy. A few years ago, a bunch of the non-current exhaust systems, including the cat-back stuff, went way up in price. But the catalytic converter prices have gone through the roof on most of the Fords, not just the Birds. For example, a 96 - 99 3.0L 12V Taurus, pretty common vehicle, has a two-catalyst Y-pipe which retails for around $1150 CAN.

cheers,
Ed N.

LXSC said:
When I bought an SC the guy told me he had the catalytic converters replaced for $900 CDN ($650-750 US). This seems extremely high for catalytic converters. Any idea where they came from? Are SC catalytic converters different from 3.8 L converters in terms of flow and threshold for heat and other abuse?

just leave them off, and get a big resonator and mufflers

For stock replacement, thats about right. Some shops will only do stock replacements. Rather, post information on year and transmission type and we can tell you what type of cats you have. You can get Catco or Jegs cats for a fraction of that price, but like Xr7Dave pointed out, they will need to make custom downtubes for them, so you need a shop that can do that sort of work.

Cats Required?

Are "cats" even required in Canada? OR is it like in the USA, where different states have different regulations?

Curious 68COUGAR

They are required, but not all provinces have emissions testing. In places like Alberta where there is no emissions testing, you may still have to get an inspection in which case the cats would have to be on the car. So yes, it is similar to the states.

Cats

I have a 93 5 sp, no egr, 3 cats and a short res. If I plan on following the letter of the law here in Kalifornistan, my only choice for replacing the cats would be the only CARB approved front y-pipe on the market...the oem one. I have had multiple shops quote me $1200++ for this piece of &#*@*$* stainless steel so the price of ~$700 sounds perfectly reasonable for a stock replacement...Now actually paying anything near a grand for such a crappy part is ridiculous if the "spirit" of the law can be followed ;)

Anthony

Dave, this is Scott Long, at marks house.

Both of my SC's, 90 AOD and 92 M5R2 only have 2 cats and no EGR. Just wanted to let you know. In michigan where I live we don't test emissions, so I have removed the cats on both cars and had custom down tubes made to connect to the resonators.

and maybe even more soon

was watching a investment TV show [not a ad to buy stocks] but a future watch of things to invest in ..and they mentioned ...there is some sort of a heavy metal or element in a catalytic converter ...can't recall the name ..but there was only 3 mines in the world ..that this stuff comes from ..and say it will be depleated in 5 to 7 years @ current rate of demand ...and they have not found any reserves .....but are now really worried ..about the increased demand ...now being placed on that supply ..with China stepping into the new world ..and the new Europe..increasing the demand faster than they had thought....dave

Paladium?

MercsSC said:
was watching a investment TV show [not a ad to buy stocks] but a future watch of things to invest in ..and they mentioned ...there is some sort of a heavy metal or element in a catalytic converter ...can't recall the name ..but there was only 3 mines in the world ..that this stuff comes from ..and say it will be depleated in 5 to 7 years @ current rate of demand ...and they have not found any reserves .....but are now really worried ..about the increased demand ...now being placed on that supply ..with China stepping into the new world ..and the new Europe..increasing the demand faster than they had thought....dave

Paladium perhaps? Or is it Pladium. One of the two. I know for sure it begins with a P but that's all I recall from Grade 11 Chem.

yes it did start with a P and ended with a ..ium ... I don't recall... what was in the middle..but sure it will bother me now ....dave

Back