clutch grinding when at stand still

baddabing80

Alright I was out hot roding the other night (being stupid), well anyways when I come to a stop and it is in gear it starts grinding and i will take it out of gear and put back and it will go away. it doesnt do it everytime but is pretty frequent. It kinda sounds like the thraw bearing is dry but there is plenty of fluid. It still shifts good and there is no problem while driving.

If you are at a light does it do it in every gear? is the clutch in or out? Does it do it in Neutral?

Jeff

Jeff has some good questions.

I would say it's sounds like a throw out bearing, too. The throw out bearings I know are separate from the transmission, and not immersed in their fluid. I haven't seen if Ford has done it differently on these cars (I have the AOD) - but I'd be surprised.

John

The throwout bearing is the same is it is on most any other car except that the slave cylinder drives the throwout bearing directly (like a hollow air cylinder).

The questions have to be answered because we can't see or hear your car, you have to be our eyes and ears. Don't be afraid of making a long post. there is a lot of explaining to do.

I answer a lot of mechanical technical questions, and sometimes even over the phone it takes a while to figure it out.

Jeff

I learned at a young age and having to remove the trans 2x`s never ride the clutch or that throw out bearing will bite you. From what he described its the throw out bearing.

scbird1 said:
I learned at a young age and having to remove the trans 2x`s never ride the clutch or that throw out bearing will bite you. From what he described its the throw out bearing.

I agree but I don't. Riding the clutch is bad, but his description has almost nothing to work with for an Accurate diagnosis without being there.

Jeff

You are right Jeff, He said he took it out of gear and went back in gear and it was gone. I will still bet the bearing going as most of mine made noise some of the time but we can`t rule out some kind of syncro trouble or inner trans bearing.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I have been away for awhile. Alright here is the scoop. It only acts up when I do alot of shifting or Im at a light and have the clutch in for awhile. So when Im sitting at a light with the clutch in and in first gear i hear a grinding sound but only if im sitting awhile, and after that starts happening the gears start grinding when I shift no matter what gear and it gets worst the longer I drive. But I have been able to drive without any problems as long as I dont do alot of shifting and drive real nice doing a little bit of double clutching and putting it in neutral when im not moving. It shift nice when I first start driving. But I pretty sure I can feel a little bit of grinding in the shifter always. I was told it could be the slave cylinder going bad, he said his slave was pushed out and had similiar problems but not exactly. I would thing if the bearing was going it wouldnt be intermitent like it is because I can drive it and have know problems for awhile, unless maybe the bearing heats up and is failing I dont know this is my first manual trany I have had any problems with. thanks guys.

It sounds like you have a couple of problems but I think the big question is ,
how many miles are on these parts? If it were my car and I had lets say 120k or more miles on it and I am going to keep it for a long time I would pull the trans, install new syncro rings,replace the pressure plate, clutch, slave cylender, clutch mastercylender and the throw out bearing and not need to remove the trans for another 10 years we hope. Sooner or later all these parts will fail. Just my .02

If it grinds when you are driving at a steady state then it's probably a bearing in the trans, could be throw out bearing. If it does it with the clutch in it could be either the pilot bearing, or the throw out bearing.

Does it do it in every gear? I had a friend that had a Samurai that would grind (bearing grind) in every gear but 4th. Since there isn't a 4th gear set in that (and most other manual 5 speed trans's), I found that the input and output shafts were locked together for a 1:1 ratio. Thus no power was transmitted to the lower countershaft, no load no noise.

Jeff

I figured out something else now this isnt every time but I can press in the clutch and rev it up and it will grind it sounds wierd and you can feel the vibration. Their is no grinding when I am in gear and moving. Only when the clutch is in and it doesnt matter if it is in gear or not. But again it not all the time.

baddabing80 said:
I figured out something else now this isnt every time but I can press in the clutch and rev it up and it will grind it sounds wierd and you can feel the vibration. Their is no grinding when I am in gear and moving. Only when the clutch is in and it doesnt matter if it is in gear or not. But again it not all the time.

That sure sounds like every throw out bearing faliure I ever had - and I've had a lot. Throw out bearings will make noise or grinding mainly when the clutch is in. If they're really bad, they can make noise when the clutch is out, since they are wearing out (getting eaten up).

Under these conditions, they can cause shifting problems like you describe, since the bearing may have worn down enough that it's now not releasing the clutch fully. A slave problem could cause that, too, but it shouldn't cause any grinding when the clutch is in while stopped.

Did the noise/grinding start some time before the grinding when shifting occurred - I'm guessing, yes?

Also, it will be fickle - sometimes making noise, and sometimes not. Also, it can start out quiet, then start making noise while sitting at a light, because it's getting hot, like you said.

It's clear that you have to pull the transmission, anyway. You'll know if it's the throw-out bearing or slave or pilot bushing before dismantling the transmission. If it is one of those things, I wouldn't bother rebuilding the transmission unless it was getting a bit dodgy before this happened.

baddabing80 said:

With the vibration I would say it's the pilot bearing.

But a clutch kit and everything that has been thrown outh there will be in the kit. You might as well replace the slave cylinder as well.

Jeff

Okay Im going to drop the tranny but I was wondering if there is anything I need to know before starting ya know any tricks of the trade or any hang ups. and also do you think I can do it in a weekend. thanks.

Back