cleaning the EGR

aitkenstyle

hey everyone
I was wondering what the easiest way to get the egr off is? I can't figure out how to get it off without taking half the motor apart and i really dont want to do this.. im trying to clean it out. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mitchell

Why are you cleaning the EGR?

It's attached to the inlet plenum so you have to remove the wiper cowl to get in there.....and even so it's very tight. If you have to change the EGR valve then it's best to remove the blower so you can get some room.

You will need to unbolt the plate that holds the throtle linkage to the intake plenum and pull it to the side. Then the cowl off of the passenger side as well. That should free up enough room so you can get to the EGR. Make sure you spray the EGR bolts and where the tube bolts to the bottum of the EGR with plenty of penitrating (sp) compound to loosen them up. You will need a crows foot to get the EGR off the tube to the manifold. The size of the crows foot is 15/16.

Do not use carb cleaner to clean the EGR as it will turn the diaphram into geliton, use Colemen fluid (for camping lanters). Put the EGR in a big container with the opening facing up and fill the container full with the fluid and let it sit over night. It should be as good as new in the morning or you could shell out the $40-60 for a new one from Ford as the parts stores dont carry it.

Good luck!
Shane

hey guys thanks so much... that helped a ton. :D

im clesning it becasue its clogged and im geting codes that say so which sucks casue its killing gas :(

Back